View Single Post
Old 18 August 2014, 10:04 AM   #57
applebook
"TRF" Member

Traveller's review persuaded me to buy one. I can't imagine ever purchasing a 6200 or an original Fifty Fathoms, so this is as close as I'm going to get.

I've had mine for a few days, and over the past 48 hours, it's at a remarkable +/0 zero seconds. We'll see how it settles in but so far extremely impressive.

This is actually my first sub $1000 mechanical watch, and frankly, I wasn't expecting much. I'm glad to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. The overall quality of the case (love the bevel details and the back engraving), chamfered sapphire crystal, dial/hands, and the movement are exceptional for the price. I think that the package compares favorably with entry-mid-level Swiss watches like TAG. If you had told me that the OOV sold for $1,500, I wouldn't have bat an eye. Is there another mechanical watch on the market with a chamfered sapphire crystal for less than $5,000? To my knowledge, the cheapest is the sapphire sandwich Moonwatch.

There are only a couple of nitpicks that I have: the long lugs mean that it wears much bigger than an average 42mm watch (closer to the 44mm Aquatimer); the clasp and the fliplock aren't up to standards of the otherwise very solid bracelet, and the lume is a bit weak in luminosity and intensity.