View Single Post
Old 22 January 2016, 01:42 PM   #85
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuagull View Post
So many...

Black Bay - This is the biggest one to date. I still love it so much that I continually try to convince myself that the slab sides of the case don't bother me when I know they do. It's a proportions thing.

SubC, GMTc & 42mm EXPII - I just cannot get with the supersized cases and maxi hands/dials. The watches just come across out of proportion, too shiny and a little cartoonish to my eye. Even with the old school cheap, rattly bracelets I much prefer the older 4 and 5-digit Rolex sports references.

Oris ProPilot & Divers 65 - I was pretty shocked at how cheap the crown felt to operate. Vague between positions and felt like it could easily be bent or cross-threaded when screwing it back in. A $100 Seiko diver's crown feels better to operate. It was a real let down.

Daytona - Modern ones are legibility nightmares and I don't love the indexes. 4-digit Daytonas are the only way to go for me.

Omega Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial - I wanted to love this piece so much but it's a mess to my eye. I don't like the polished tops of the lugs, the PCLs on a retro-styled diver or the white seconds hand (should match the other hands). It's a weird combo of vintage flatness and modern bling that doesn't work for me.

The list could go on and on, but I'll stop there for now. In summary, I'll say there are a TON of watches I like a lot, but VERY few that I like enough that I'd want to own them long term.
I hear you on these.
The Black Bay sides are grating as is the 22mm lug width, but I think the rest of the watch just about makes up for it.
Not so with the seamster 300. I completely concur with your description. Nicely built watch but a mess of design incongruences. Especially the polished lugs and shiny bezel against the vintage dial. I also noticed the 3 and 9 on the dial aren't evenly spaced against the markers. Big mistake. Just doesn't work for me.
And yup, 4 digit Daytonas the way to go...
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote