View Single Post
Old 27 August 2008, 12:21 AM   #8
Mort
"TRF" Member

Fountain pens are wonderful. They write really nice, but they are not for everyone. They have to be used on a regular basis for them to write when you want them to,because ink dries up in the feed and clogs the pen.

I tell some of my customers that Roller balls sometimes make a better gift to some because they are very smooth, they leave a nice line like a fountain pen, but do not have the mess of inking it or cleaning it every so often.

Roller Balls also have the feel of a fountain pen because you have to post the cap they way you would with a fountain pen. On the other hand, that is why some people like ball Pens because they are one piece. You do not have to keep up with a cap. The only draw back on Ballpens is that true ball pen ink is not ink, but a paste. Still now days there are gel refills that will write like a rollerball that fit twist ball pens.

Still, fountain pens are beautiful, but for gifts it can be iffy if the person may or may not like using one.

BTW, Cartier pens are very nice pens. As I metioned in a post a few days ago to an inquiry about Cartier watches on TRF, Cartier has announced a price increase on september 1st. Not all the lines will go up but most of the staple lines will.

Best,
Mort
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote