View Single Post
Old 7 April 2018, 07:29 AM   #50
eyeheartny
"TRF" Member

Didn't think you were having a go at me!

I admire people who get deep into the horologically-significant pieces and manufacturers, but it's just not me. A good friend is currently looking for one of the Piaget Altiplano 1200s (ultra-thin skeleton) and while I get the beauty/brilliance of the movement, I'd never consider buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Definitely not – not with an AP and Ressence listed as potential considerations.
Neither one, and especially the Ressence, are remotely pedestrian in any way, shape, or form.
The Ressence is still really appealing to me. As much as I have a PM itch, I am intrigued by and am still considering a two-watch combo of a DJ41 with a Ressence Type 1 Squared. I adore cushion-case watches, and if I take the Panerai 512 off my list I can get a DJII and a Ressence Type 1 Squared and stay within budget. The Ressence is just such an unusual bit of engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
My point through all this is when it gets to such a serious expenditure, I don’t see the point of a PM tool watch, even though we all know it’ll never be used as such.
So, for everyday casual usage, and which won’t even see dirty dish water, why not buy something that really does warrant the sort of expense being considered.
Part of what is at issue is that I like to be able to keep things clean. Even though it doesn't see especially hard duty, my SubC gets washed regularly with soap/water. I find that regular cleaning helps cut down on micro-scratching, as the dirt/sweat/dust that people leave on their watches definitely contribute to scratches.

Are you classifying the Day-Date as a tool watch because of the water resistance? I guess compared to a Saxonia it's a tool watch, but it is still far less of one than my Sub.
eyeheartny is offline   Reply With Quote