View Single Post
Old 26 December 2018, 08:07 PM   #32
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
I'm with you! But I tried this approach on an earlier thread and nobody agreed with me. A x300 mark up is not normal market practice.....and as someone else pointed out above, the vendor is probably in bits over this....and they are part of the watch community too.
But let’s flip that around.

The seller has no doubt obtained these parts by effectively getting them free from the owners (sure I read he was a watch repairer selling off loads of lots) watches when he’s swapped them out for new ones. Some might say they should have been returned to their owner?

So why should the seller benefit from it anyway? If we want to start back tracking and reimbursing previous owners then surely we should track down the owners of the original inserts that paid rrp for them back in the day? Or maybe the new owner of the watch that the insert belongs to?

So here’s irony for you... due to the nature of this beast the person willing to pay £20k for one of these original inserts could well be buying what’s rightfully his, could have even come from the same watch from when it was swapped for a normal sub insert 25 years ago!

Yep I feel a bit for the seller and he probably is a bit sick but should we then feel even more for the previous owner?

But this logic could extend to every vintage Rolex. Don’t hear people moaning about all the £100k subs & daytonas with the same jealousy. What about the previous owners that sold them for buttons?

What about one of the old owners of a Van Gogh painting?

What about the first owner of my house (that’s now worth 4 times it’s current value)
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote