View Single Post
Old 12 May 2019, 05:13 AM   #26
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
If they give the watch a 5-year warranty I don’t think it’s too outrageous to expect a lifespan of that time with reasonable wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I understand the sentiment, especially when talking about a high ticket, luxury item. But I don't think the comparison between the watche's warranty period and the life span of a rubber (or leather) strap seems fair. Regardless, I hope they cover it and please keep us posted.

Straps are almost universally not covered by any warranty (at least to the same extent as the watch itself) because they are open to the environment and subject to wear and damage by the user or other people.

If a strap keeper torn on a leather strap after one year it would be equally unlikely any brand would call this a manufacturing defect. But they may still replace it as a gesture.

We need to stop saying things like ‘Rolex will replace this’ or ‘Rolex should replace this’ as this raises expectations that may not be met and it happens all to often that people are disappointed more than they other wise would have been had a forum full of people not told them they were right.

As I said I hope you get this sorted for free.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote