View Single Post
Old 3 July 2019, 03:56 PM   #155
T3F
"TRF" Member

I trashed this watch when I first saw photos, and again when I saw more photos, and yet again when I saw even more photos...but I did get to see it in person a few days ago, and, well, I didn't hate it.

I still think it straddles the border between sports and dress watch awkwardly -- it's too big and too thick to be a real dress watch, but it looks a bit too dressy to be a sports watch. However, the case wears unbelievably comfortably and is actually pretty interesting, the crystal is pretty cool, and the movement is gorgeous, especially on the chrono version. The dial on the standard (time and date) version is better than I expected -- I was told it's enamel -- but still not great, and I really didn't like the chrono at all despite wanting to because of the fantastic movement.

Now for the million (well, tens of thousands) dollar question: will I buy one? I've been thinking about it, and the answer is probably, though likely not now. Given others are saying they are working on tweaking the dials, I'm inclined to wait to see the revised versions, especially since I really want the chrono but would buy the standard version if I went for one of the current offerings. That being said, I do think there is a chance this takes off in the future (wouldn't ever supersede the RO, but could play a notable second fiddle to it like the Aquanaut does with the Nautilus) as more people try them and they continue to make changes, and it would be cool to have one from the first run of which only a few hundred of each variant is being made.