View Single Post
Old 6 June 2013, 07:02 AM   #6
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Huge Seiko fan here. They're very robust watches for the price. I own a skx007 on jubilee which is quite comfy on the wrist.

Bear in mind there's no manual winding capability so if you don't wear it everyday the PR will drop and possibly die. If this happens you essentially have to jump-start the watch by lightly shaking it in order to propel the rotor, set the time, then let the natural motion of daily wear take care of the rest throughout the day. You'd need to wear it everyday to keep the mainspring wound. If you plan on that then I see no reason not to get one.

There are alternatives to the skx but the price, size and overall appearance may differ, but all provide a higher PR, hand winding, and better level of finish. Obviously, if you're selling your 16610 and opting for something inexpensive there's financial limitations, but if you can swing it here are your other options:

Seiko Sumo (substantially larger (I sold mine for this reason) but has hand wind capabilities)
Sbdx001 Marine Master 300M (Can be had for ~$1850 new and is arguably the best value in divers)

It might also be worthwhile to check Orient's line of divers.

Not trying to sway you but think there's a real possibility you'll be disappointed as the 16610 shoes are might hard to fill. Again, if you plan on wearing it everyday then I say go for it... you can also get these watches regulated to run within pretty good specs.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote