View Single Post
Old 5 August 2014, 06:43 AM   #23
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollectables View Post
There isn't a definitive way to polish a watch case be it Rolex , Breitling etc . Most cases have their own personal nuances that an experienced polisher will
Know how to deal with using various methods they have developed over the years .
Personally I always remove crown tubes from Steel Rolex cases and leave them in on 18k cases where I also screw a stainless crown to protect the thread from wear during the polishing process . With steel cases it's impossible to obtain a good uniform finish by leaving the crown tube in place .Sometimes I will
Plug the tube hole to prevent polish building up in the inner case thread .
As far as graining before polishing it is better to grain first and then polish but it can be tricky when final lustre polishing to avoid the regrained areas and handling during the polishing process can also weaken off the graining lines so it can be a bit of a balancing act !
Also when polishing marks from a case if the correct method is employed like lapping only a minute amount of steel is removed uniformly from the case so it is generally not noticeable metal has been removed unless of course a large dint or damage has had to be removed but then we would micro weld if the area if polished proved detrimental to the case . Opposite sides are always polish to match any work done elsewhere so in essence the whole case would be refinished to do the job correctly .
It's funny how often I get asked to do a ' light polish ' or just buff out the marks . I always say we never do half jobs . Do it properly or not at all ;-)
Awesome info... thanks!