View Single Post
Old 17 April 2023, 12:12 AM   #44
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I finally pulled the trigger and got a sapphire.

I struggled with this decision and when compared side by side, the hesalite does look nicer. However the hesalite does not have an exhibition back, nor a applied logo, and these factors did contribute to my decision. Also, when looked at in isolation, the sapphire looks great.

It is worth noting, I dismiss the argument that the hesalite is closer to the original watch that went to the moon as both versions share few similarities with the original. This is more and observation than a critisism as major technological improvements have been made in the watch world since the 1960s. These include the movements, the lume, overall size and also the crystal. The only thing the hesalite version has that remotely resembles the original is the antiquated crystal that is hard to maintain. Sort of like buying a modern Porsche, with seats that are manually adjustable (or just an AM/FM radio); you can do it but why?

Also, in my research, I did see the benefits of the Ed White 321 model and would have bought one if it was easier to get. That model does have a movement that went to the moon, is the original size, has a period similar bracelet, but it has a sapphire crystal, and the applied logo.

In some ways, the Ed White is the perfect Moonswatch. I wish it was gettable.

At the end of the day, the sapphire 3861 is more closely aligned with the 321 Ed White than the hesalite 3861 and that is the reason I bought it.

PS: one criticism of the 3861 has been the taper of the bracelet. I agree with this one, and the only thing I wish was different would be if there was less taper in the bracelet.

I am happy with it, but could have easily gone the other way.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote