View Single Post
Old 27 April 2024, 05:26 AM   #1
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Why does Panerai has terrible resale value VS Omega/IWC?

I'll take Rolex out of the context here for obvious reasons ;).

But I've owned many Omega/IWC watchs over the years and always sold them for the grey market prices I had paid for...maybe lost like $500 at max.

I've been watching the Panerai market (watchfinder and other grey market sellers) and I see price drops all the time as stock just tends to sit there...especially for models with $7K+ prices that virtually never move.

I do love the brand and unfortunately, the models I like are all over $7k and hence why I haven't pulled the trigger yet (bi tempo gmt, 8 days gmt/radiomir). I have visited my Panerai AD (same place I bought my sub from) and 10% is max discount they offer on pieces that cost over $10k!!!

With Omega/Rolex sitting in the $8k territory, I wonder if people actually buy Panerai at full retail knowing the resale value is perhaps like 50% afterwards......

I guess the general consensus is if ya want Panerai, stick to a pre-owned piece with full box/papers? Don't bother with retail pieces?

I love my sub but already getting bored with it and the fact that I can't switch it up with rubber/leather straps easily and this is where Panerai is king (strap monster!).

For someone getting into Panerai, what are the best models/series that are worth buying (and some resale value if I dont bond with it in the long run)?

Sorry..not bashing the brand but just curious as I remember years back, Panerai was so much hype (like what Rolex is now) but then the brand just slid downwards....