View Single Post
Old 24 March 2012, 11:57 PM   #1531
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
As it is an annual calendar, not a perpetual calendar, it has to be reset once a year, as Fiery says, on March 1st. A perpetual calendar watch knows when leap years are and are amongst the most complex watches money can buy - they have to be adjusted only when a leap year is deleted, and that won't happen again until 2100 now. There are also semi-perpetual calendars where you have to adjust it once every leap year. Confused yet?

Chris
Chris- thank you for clarifying this. Some reviewers have characterized this calibre as a semi-perpetual, according to the characteristics you describe. In truth it is just an annual calendar. No small feat, but not what some people are describing. SO what is ROLEX claiming exactly about this movement, when they say it is unique in terms of the SAROS.

From what I read, SAROS is periodicity and recurrence of eclipses is governed by the Saros cycle, a period of approximately 6,585.3 days (18 years 11 days 8 hours). It was known to the Chaldeans as a period when lunar eclipses seem to repeat themselves, but the cycle is applicable to solar eclipses as well.

What does the new ROLEX calibre have to do with SAROS, when it has to be re-set once every 365 days?

Plesae excuse my ignorance….

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."