View Single Post
Old 22 September 2014, 02:56 AM   #176
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I don't which apps you use so I'll take your word for it. I have never been one to have a ton of apps so maybe this problem still exists and I'm just not aware of it. I like to keep it simple with only a few apps. I think Android has always played catch up compared to IOS. The latest version, Kit Kat, is very good. I'd say that it is on par, if not almost as good as iOS7 (I haven't really looked into iOS8). The upcoming version, Android L, is going very nice. It's pretty crazy, but Android L is supposed to be so efficient that the battery life in the Nexus 5 will increase by 30-40%.

I am looking forward to trying out the 6/6+ in stores, though. It looks awesome.
I was probably too quick to generalize my experiences to Android in general. I had the S4, and it drove me crazy. I actually broke the screen in utter frustration one day.

It was a year ago, so I don't remember exactly which apps did what or were giving me the most problems. I used dropbox, photo tools, PDFs, and e-mails a lot. I do remember that downloading files was ridiculously difficult. For all I know that's completely different now, and apparently according to Dave, Dropbox app has been improved since I used it.

I read journal articles for the work I am doing intermittently, and it would put the files somewhere obscure when downloading them. It wouldn't tell me where it was putting them either. I would eventually figure out where they were being stored, and then could move them somewhere else. By the next time I downloaded an article, I would forget where it would put them again and have to repeat the whole process of looking up the details online. It became extremely annoying. I like being able to just open it and then save it to a place of my choice on iOS if I need to. At that point in time S4 wouldn't even let me open PDFs at first (it didn't recognize the file type!), and I had to go about downloading a separate app like Adobe just to read the files. Then I had to open it with that app somehow IIRC.

With Apple it was all integrated (except for Flash, which they apparently don't like) and easy. Perhaps they've fixed a lot of that stuff by now, but I won't be switching back anytime soon. Perhaps in a few more years I'll be up to trying again. I love technology, and it would be nice to have a bright(and very pretty) OLED screen, but the functionality was dysfunctional for me, perhaps because I've been using iPhone since the first model.

My biggest gripe right now with the iPhone is the memory. Hopefully they will add more in the 6s Plus. I don't like the phone reloading webpages when I go forward or backward in the history or when I open a new page and try to find information or a link and then return to the text box. It erases all the writing right now. I would like to be able to start typing into a forum text box and then go do other tasks on other pages briefly and return to what I was typing. This is especially annoying when I mistakenly swipe forward or backwards with my finger while typing into a text box and Safari changes the page on me, thus erasing everything I wrote completely. That to me is extremely annoying. There is no way to turn this feature off.

The feature itself would not be so annoying if it were programmed better. Right now it changes the page based on length of swipe and/or acceleration. So, even if you don't make a long swipe but it is done quickly enough, it changes the page. If they eliminate the acceleration component, then it wouldn't happen to me by mistake. At the least add something to either turn off the feature or moderate the acceleration and swipe lengths. That, or make the memory larger so pages don't reload. I prefer both, but the former would seem more important, as then I can turn off aspects of the swipe that are causing the problem in my case.

Anyway... Rant off....