View Single Post
Old 31 January 2010, 05:07 PM   #74
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
This is the main reason it is hard for me to only own Rolex sport watches, no real strap options for sport models.

When you look at watches like IWC for example, they are way ahead of the game when it comes to options. The new Aquatimers actually have a little lever that you can press with your thumb to release the bracelet form the lugs, it is fantastic. Then you can easily swap out the bracelet for a rubber strap. The only bummer is that you have to use genuine IWC straps, unlike Panerai were the sky is the limit. IWC's quick change strap system would be fantastic on Rolex sport models, I wish they would offer something like that. You really need to go to your local IWC dealer and check it out, you will be amazed.

I have done the nylon thing with my Rolex watches, and I do like the extra comfort. These days I buy other brands if I want strap options and keep my Rolex watches on the bracelets. To me, that is Rolex, if I want something different than a bracelet, I wear a Panerai, Omega or IWC.

I pretty much concur with your point of view. I know there are some models of the DJ to be had with leather, but very limited and only in white gold or yellow gold.
For some reason, Rolex has decided to make their watches very proprietary when it comes to anything aftermarket, or altering a watch in any way, shape or form from the way it came from the watchmaker. I have to admit that I do totally concur with most of the Rolex method of preserving the integrity of the original watch, and keeping age old styles that still look the same after you have worn them for 20 years. I believe that there are even some warranty issues with the watch, if even the bracelet it changed.
That is just one of the other exclusive features of Rolex. Indeed, if you like to change bracelets, straps or anything else on your watches, there are dozens of other makes out there that make it free to do so.
I have to say that the one Rolex I have - the Milgauss - is the most comfortable watch I own. There has obviously been a lot of research and testing go into all the details, especially the bracelet. I personally have absolutely no interest in the pursuit of a new bracelet or strap for this watch. If you do want to have a Rolex, and show your individuality, there are 3200 combinations possible for the 170 models in the Oyster range. If that doesn't float your boat, then there are tons of options available outside of the Rolex world.
I have found that it doesn't matter which make you choose, there is always something that you wish the watchmaker would do that isn't done, or that they would change. For example, I would like to be able to get an Oyster Perpetual NO DATE with a Jubilee bracelet. And maybe even at TT. The only thing I can get with those models is a fluted white gold bezel. So, I will have to go to the Datejust. Which is what I will probably do.
Cheers,
Carl