View Single Post
Old 10 December 2021, 07:24 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsck View Post
Got in the watch community this year, currently, I own an Omega and IWC.

How do I even start building a relationship with an AD if they literally have 0 items for me to buy? (
If your AD doesn't stock other stuff that you want to buy, and if you are certain you won't get listed for a watch you want unless you buy a watch or watches you don't want, you might as well go grey, if you want a Rolex that much.

Or hold back and scout a few more ADs. Maybe you'll find one where you can start spending money on things you actually want in order to "build your relationship" - whatever that means, because it is bound to vary by AD. My AD sells a lot of watch brands, jewellery, pens, ornaments, some posh cosmetics, luggage and accessories, and more besides. It's not difficult to start spending there. The first time I walked in there was to get a new nib put on a Mont Blanc. A small start, but everything has to start somewhere.

We will each draw the line in a different place when it comes to what we are willing to spend on a grey premium. For me there are variations. I wanted a Hulk and I was confident I wasn't going to get one from any AD, so I went grey and have never regretted it. I was trying to climb onto my AD's list for a black SS Sky Dweller when the second UK Rolex MSRP price was announced in less that 12 months. I jumped on a grey one before the price went up yet again.

I was happy to wait for my BLRO because even back when my AD finally put me on their list, the grey premium was too much for me to stomach. It's totally bonkers now. Ditto the blue SS Sky Dweller. I'm 6th on my AD's list. I'll probably get it in 3-4 years. It will certainly be at a higher MSRP by then but I expect the grey market will be double, and I'm not willing to pay that much, regardless of how much I adore the Blue Sky and covet it. I believe that a part of getting the BLRO and latterly on to the Blue Sky Dweller list is that I seldom if ever call only to remind them. When I visit I usually spend something. I buy something for me or for my wife. I take stuff in to be appraised, serviced, repaired, cleaned etc. it all adds up and it might just get me in the right place at the right time. It happens.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote