View Single Post
Old 24 February 2020, 09:38 PM   #19
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I think that the comparative (financial) underperformance of the 5270 VS 5970 has less to do with modern tastes changing or the beauty of the respective pieces.
It's to do with over production.
They've built too many PCC's. They were never in the window. They should never be in the window. They were grails. They should still be grails.

As an owner of a 5070 and a 5170, I can categorically tell you, the new pieces are in many cases sensationally beautiful (especially the 5170p) with a movement to match.

But if you build orders of magnitude more then they won't be as special.

An F355 in 1997 was a mind blowing sight in London. 488's are left out on the street all year round with barely a glance.
Totally agree. Because Patek have invested so much in the R&D for the new fully in house movements, then production numbers have to multiply to justify that investment. I think they have created a major problem for themselves, and even short production runs (for some variants of the 5170, 5270 and 5204) have not saved secondary market pain. As an owner of all of these pieces it pains me to see this - even though they were never bought as investments, you still want to see reasonable value retention.