View Single Post
Old 27 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #58
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
It's not just Daytonas. The fact people can't readily get any relatively desirable model has impacted their reputation. When you still have people paying over MSRP for a Datejust or waiting around with no end in sight... or better yet, ADs that won't even add people on to the waitlist... that is damaging to Rolex's reputation.

If I were 22, a fresh college graduate living in a big city, and wanting my first Submariner I think the taste I'd quickly get in my mouth would be enough to walk away from the brand either permanently or at least for a very long time.

I've been lucky on a few instances--I.E. getting a ceramic Pepsi when I was 23 in 2019 as things were heating up, but I think the current system isn't really welcoming to the younger generation and that I was an exception to a backwards and broken system.

I agree with this totally. I don't understand how hard it is for Rolex to just have a centralized database that customers get added to across the ADs and then they can see where and when to send models to based on demand.

Prioritizing the younger generation should be a major concern for the company and all watch makers. They are all living in the clouds with how the last few years have breathed life back into the industry.

Im 35 and if Im trying to get into watches long term I hate to say it but barring major tragic life events I have more decades of purchasing power ahead of me than other established customers. They need to do more to get younger people into the brands. I am running into the same thing at PP, AP. and VC. Oh you don't have a purchase history but no we can't get you a watch to start your purchase history. I have 4 Rolex ADs here and none of them has been able to get me a simple blue OP 36 or mint green 36 DJ in 2 years....

Oh and that's not even factoring in Millennials and Gen Z are about to receive the largest transfer of wealth in human history coming from the Boomers and older generations. These companies are missing the forest for the trees just because its easy at the moment.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote