Ideal situation:
Submariner Date (300 meters) - 40mm diameter - US $8500
Sea Dweller (1220 meters) - 42mm diameter - US $10500
DeepSea (3900 meters)- 44mm diameter - US $12000

Current Situation:
Submariner Date (300 meters) - 40mm diameter - US $8500
Sea Dweller (1220 meters) - 40mm diameter - US $11500
DeepSea (3900 meters)- 44mm diameter - US $12000

Honestly, this makes proper sense. All 3 choices of watches with different diameters and different diving range. If you have SD now at 40mm, its basically similar looks with SubDate without cyclops and you are paying $3k just for diving range which not many really end up using it. Those who want real deep diving watch, they need to end up using Deep Sea which is like 3 times SD range without much price difference.
Another vote for this (but alas, we're living in fantasy world). Man was I hoping for a 42mm dive watch from Rolex...IMO a 40mm, 42mm & 44mm offering would have been PERFECT as it really would satisfy ALL buyers. I still don't understand how so many people really LOVE the fact the new SD is 40mm...if you're so in love w/ a 40mm watch, then buy the SubC.

But damn Rolex, it won't kill you to offer a little more variety for those of us that want a dive watch slightly bigger than 40mm (and yet don't want to sport a 44mm DSSD...and yes, I was a DSSD owner & daily wearer for almost 4 years, so I know a thing or two about that watch...it's good, just not perfect IMO). A 42mm SD WOULD have been perfect (for me at least).

As is, the new SD4000 is just too simlar to my SubC for me to get excited about it (just like the previous history of the Sub vs. SD)...and therefore I'll happily save my cash by just holding onto my SubC.

And that's my point...Rolex missed the boat on getting guys like me to purchase multiple dive watches. IF a 42mm SD would have been offered more than likely I would have kept my SubC AND purchased a 42mm SD...but seeing as the two models are again so similar, I've got to believe the majority of owners will be just like me in that they will pick one or the other...but not BOTH. I would have been a 'BOTH' owner, but not now with them both being 40mm...just too similar for me to justify that much coin wrapped up in two similar sized watches. Oh well...
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote