View Single Post
Old 11 June 2015, 02:26 PM   #66
MickCollins1916
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
drster- 3 of 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffpilot View Post
As much as I like a good argument, I generally find ad hominem attacks distasteful. In addition to being distasteful, ad hominem attacks are also a sign that my argument is well articulated, balanced, and sound, so it stands on its own.
P.S. My favorite defenses were the ones that began with, "I've never dealt with him but..." Classic...

I am glad you're weighing in. I like the debate, and everyone's entitled to dissent. Your views are your views, and I would not waste my time or yours trying to convince you of their wrongheadedness. I agree that people attacking you personally is unnecessary. There's room for debate here without that.

Not sure that res ipsa works in this situation though. Your response seems a little tone deaf in the sense that you may have missed or intentionally disregarded the points some (most? all?) of us were trying to make. Many of them are worth considering.

I, for one, said above that though I have never dealt with Mark, I would gladly do so in spite of this review, based on overwhelmingly good feedback in existence. I don't think that should be dismissed, since many of us work hard for our money and are careful where we spend it. Copious numbers of happy customers are unlikely to be wrong. Nor was my statement a defense of anything, since I am uncertain there is anything to defend.

The point I was subtly trying to make - without knocking you personally, or having to spell this out explicitly - was by doing one's homework beforehand, one might be able to skip some of the prelims with some of the unquestionably trustworthy sellers here on the forum. There are many. I am not a pro and don't have all the answers, but I will gladly do business with lots of guys here.

Assuming, arguendo, that your account of the alleged problem was accurate - which is not an assumption I made - I might have gone to great lengths to resolve things far more privately. I don't know - nor do I care - what the details of the back-and-forth were, but it's merely a suggestion for the future.

Plus, I concur with the guys who have suggested that if a buyer wants the "AD experience," one should go to an AD...though in my view, the mythical AD experience is exactly that.

I've been treated far better by some great sellers here on TRF than I have at ADs. My expectations here have always been set to "get the watch I want at a great price, with little fanfare or BS," and the experiences to date have matched up. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk