View Single Post
Old 11 September 2014, 06:47 PM   #1
mrjnam
"TRF" Member

Fifty Fathoms Homage - Seiko 5 Mod

I'm a Rolex guy, but I've always liked the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, but never enough to actually buy one. I also wanted a daily beater and a watch with a shark mesh bracelet, so I picked up this modded Seiko SNZH57 from green69442 and the bracelet separately from yourbandstand. The watch was $345 and the bracelet was $50 and I'm really happy with it.

The dial is my favorite part about this watch, it's flawlessly done and beautiful.

The case is 42mm without the crown, but sits larger and thicker on the wrist than a regular 42mm.

The crown is not screw down, so not really a diver.

The crystal is domed so it distorts at extreme angles, but slightly less than Panerai domed crystals. This is my least favorite part about this watch.

The shark mesh bracelet didn't come with the watch, but it's well-made, size adjustable, and opens and closes well. The width of the bracelet seems huge because it's 22mm with no tapering, like Rolex bracelets do.

This Seiko automatic movement does not allow manual winding, it only winds by movement, but it takes only a couple of shakes for it to start going, unlike other automatics. Keeps great time.

That's it, pretty nice for a sub-$500 beater diver I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140910_132007.jpg (92.2 KB, 534 views)
mrjnam is offline   Reply With Quote