View Single Post
Old 24 April 2024, 11:21 AM   #557
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkol View Post
Being a daytona fan for 20+ years, my fav feature has always been the asymmetrical lugs….i can’t think of another mainstream watch that had/has that feature. Such a pity that they deleted that
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
With you on this.
Rolex had a reason, balance, not just with the Daytona but also 5 digit and earlier subs.

It shows the attention to detail Rolex went to, to make tool watches perfect or at least highly considered for their intended use case. It’s what made Rolex special and have character to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcheeze View Post
I agree.

Although the term "asymmetrical lugs" is used in the wording, it is beautiful that it looks like a very natural symmetrical lugs in appearance.

It may be a misleading expression if only the words are taken superficially.
Yet there are those of us for whom the asymmetrical lugs are a design fail. One of those things that once seen cannot be unseen. Certainly doesn't look like natural symmetrical lugs to me.

My 5 digit sub was pretty symmetrical. My 5 digit sea dweller is completely symmetrical (was NOS)

Older cases used to be hand finished. I'm not sure that any asymmetry (other than the Daytona) was intentional.

Rolex made a point of saying that the asymmetric Daytona case was to balance the pushers. Yet only the steel cased and yellow gold on Oyster Daytonas had it.

All the others were symmetrical. My 116509 is symmetrical. And all the better for it - to my eyes

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote