View Single Post
Old 27 April 2024, 03:31 AM   #59
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
The unavailability of these models makes them more attractive to most folks. Half the people here wouldn’t want a Daytona or a Pepsi or a Skydweller if you could just walk in and buy one
There definitely are some hype chasers out there, but how much do they really account for the overall fanbase (not just on TRF) of many of the hot watches? 25%? 50%?

ADs sold plenty of watches when they were widely available 6-7 years ago, and Rolex was still the most successful Swiss watch brand.

There are still tons of people out there that would buy the watch because they like the watch. Look at Omega. Almost all of their watches are widely available, and they can sell them. Sure, they're not flying off the shelves for the most part, but they're getting sold.

At this juncture, I wonder how much of the waitlist for each desirable model on average is just a flipper. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 50%. Rolex now having a target audience whose primary purpose is chasing value and/or flipping just isn't sustainable for the brand either. I believe their current CEO also recognizes this and wishes to correct it.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote