View Single Post
Old 4 July 2015, 10:35 AM   #1
R-H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 5513
My 67 5513 Submariner back from ABC

First off let me say thanks to this forum and members, for the information and suggestions provided on this project. I have 2 threads going on this project and if you don't mind I'd like to bring parts of the others into to bring the story together.
Part 1
First off Hello to all, I'm Robert from Palm Springs CA, new to the forum, new to Rolex's and new to vintage watches. My wife came home from a trip to Oregon to visit her mother and told me she brought me back her grandfather's old watch, when she handed it to me my jaw dropped, having been a diver for many years I could recognize a Rolex Submariner. Did a Google search on Rolex Submariner information, removed the band to locate the numbers, mod.#5513, ser.#173xxxx please correct me if I'm wrong I've never had a Rolex but I put it's date as a 1964. I asked her do you know what this is? she said ya it was her grandfather's work watch, all I could say was Thank You!
It is indeed a work watch as he worked for the San Francisco public works Dept. on the road crew mostly operating a jackhammer, as it was never a closet queen, it does show some wear for it's 51 years, it has sat in a box since his passing, 20 years ago. Searched how to wind and set the time on a submariner and its kept accurate time for 72 hours so far so good. My plans are to have it first checked out to see what we have, I've called the local Rolex dealer was told they do not work on watches of this age but would send it to the Rolex service center for me. Now I'm not sure but to me that seem like they would like in on a piece of the pie. So I've been searching online and I must say this forum has some very good information to keep me from making to many mistakes. From this site I have seen a few names mentioned for vintage Rolex repairs, I called ABC Watchwerks in Los Angles today about bring it in for an evaluation, because I feel better going in person then shipping it cross country and doing business by phone. If the watch checks out to be what I think it is, I'll have it serviced and a very light restoration because I don't want to turn it into a new watch. Now for the questions, first is my plan going in the right direction, 2 - will it take away from the value of the watch to have the crystal replaced? it appears to be acrylic and is getting age checked or cracked. 3 - it appears some of the links in the band are stretching out can these be repaired.

After this post I learned there is more then one serial number date chart out there and it would be either a 1967 or 68.

SAM_0240.jpg

SAM_0261.jpg

SAM_0290.jpg

Will be back with part 2
R-H is offline   Reply With Quote