View Single Post
Old 17 April 2024, 03:49 AM   #10640
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
I agree. In the Great Recession it was time to buy, not sell and lock in a loss (if you had the time to ride it out)

As noted, you can invest in US Treasuries which are paying high rates and the interest income is free of stat tax, but you in FL so it’s not such a benefit for you. Still, it is among the safest possible investments and you are getting north of 5% in the shorter term notes.

You should look at money markets. The breaking the buck trend was when interest rates were near zero. That is not the case now. Most online brokerages have money markets north of 5% and you can typically access your cash in 24 hours. You should have plenty of notice should rates start to crater, which looks very unlikely in the “higher for longer” fedspeak environment. Note that the yield is an annual one and factors in reinvesting the interest payments.

That said, SOME exposure to dividend paying blue chip stocks, at the least, is usually a good idea for most investors.
Just wanna clarify one thing, unrelated to investing: I do not live in Florida. San Diego is nicknamed "America's Finest City." Not by me, and IDK if it's the "finest," but the weather is nice.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote