View Single Post
Old 5 May 2023, 11:40 AM   #52
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I might be helpful here. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster Professional. When the new 3861 movement came out, I was looking to sell off my old Speedmaster and replace it. My motivations had a lot to do with the movement; which could be hacked for more accurate time setting. I also liked the bracelet upgrade. Everything else about the case and dial I could really take or leave.

I ended up getting the sapphire 3861 model largely because it helped me justify selling a Speedmaster, spending more money, and getting another Speedmaster. I am glad I did. I get why everyone loves the Hesalite model. I did for sure. That said, the sapphire "feels" higher quality. It feels more in line with my Rolex and IWC collection whereas the Hesalite felt more like a tool. I also realize that the the "tool-like" feeling of the Hesalite model is part of the draw and charm. I just feel the sapphire has really become the standard in terms of what Omega is doing with the Speedmaster Professional. The precious metal variations are basically gold versions of the sapphire 3861. I also liked the subtle polished intermediate links on the bracelet.

For me, and me alone, the Speedmaster went from a "beater" watch that I wore occasionally to my daily wearer constantly fighting with my GMT-Master II for supremacy. I get 100% why people prefer the Hesalite version. It is closer to what the watch was originally meant to be. I just think the Speedmaster is its best self in the sapphire configuration. The "milky ring" does not bother me one bit. I like that the crystal sits flatter making the thickness of the case less.

Good luck. You can't make a wrong choice and I am sure you will end up loving whichever variation you get.
Incredible response!!
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote