View Single Post
Old 14 December 2020, 09:03 AM   #15
syklum
"TRF" Member

Ebay Authenticity Guarantee - Bad for new watches!

Just sold a like-new watch on ebay. Was not aware that all watches over $2K automatically have to send the watch to its third party authenticator. While I understand the benefits of this for both buyer and seller, here is why it doesn't work for some situations.

Imagine selling a new or like-new Rolex watch, they send it to their third party authenticator who you do not know or have any contract or remedy with, the authenticator may inspect it and run tests on it, including taking off the bracelets and straps AND even opening up the case (this is what ebay told me and you can see their videos saying they do this)! They don't tell you what tests they ran or what they did on your new watch. Immediately, this watch to me is devalued and you've added more liability by it being subject to scratches, damage by allowing another third party to tinker with it (I don't care how experienced they are). You don't know whether opening up the watch has compromised the water rating or caused other damage or even potentially voided a factory warranty.

Imagine now you allow for returns - the buyer sends it back to the authenticator and now does the tests and inspections again, another potential liability. As a seller, I don't want this watch back ever again, it's now worse off than when I had first tried to sell it.

On top of this, if something does happen to the watch while in the hands of the authenticator or in transit from authenticator to buyer, I don't see any specific language in the Terms of Service that says Sellers would be made whole. Sellers here are taking the leap of faith that everything will be taken care of, but that is not something I'm willing to do.

Ebay does not make clear what these authenticators will actually do - I did not give them permission to ever inspect or open up my new watch, but they have made it mandatory now for $2k watches and above. Shipping time will also double. In sum, only way I would sell a watch now on ebay is if it's an older watch I don't care about being opened up and I would not allow for returns. If you're a buyer trying to buy a new watch, note that your new watch might be opened up and it might not be "new" after that. Note that ebay said they don't always open up the case or remove bracelets, but you don't know if or when they do.
syklum is offline   Reply With Quote