View Single Post
Old 21 July 2023, 04:53 AM   #85
cy888
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
My guess cy888 is some feel LV is a luxury bag maker and little else. Of course they're also a longtime travel trunk makers too. Yes LV has expanded to clothes, shoes, sporty equipment... and timepieces. Hiring 'popular' stylists for added 'flair'.

All things considered, valid assessment of doubt from a 'historical' perspective of LV's watchmaking 'legacy'. Perhaps after a decade or so some doubters might come around. Look at what Bvlgari has done as of 'recent'. LV is not the first fashion brand to dip into 'high' horology. Won't be the last.
True, they are traditionally a trunk maker and best known for their monogram bags. Perhaps it will take a decade with the new direction in their watches to gain recognition.
I think their past history of offering fashion watches also affects their image. If they had started with automatics and no quartz decades ago then they likely be in a better place today.

LV also has high jewelry inline with other brands and their own patented diamond cuts.

If we ignore the LV brand, and if this was from one of the new independents or revived brands, would the price point be justified for the level of watch design, finishing and movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I expect most of the demand to come from die-hard LV fans and some from impulse buyers who are just spending gazillions on other LV products who will be shown the watch on top at the store.

I may be wrong but I can't see many watch guys with a variety of watches across brands who'd vote with their wallet for this one if the target was to add another watch in the 20k range.
The fans yes, they likely will consider this. I've been told that it won't be available for walk in clients, will be viewings by appointment and limited availability.

Tim Mosso mentioned production in the 100's, not 1000.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuUCI...RlODBiNWFlZA==

"The idea is that this is the gateway to LV's higher end watches rather than a point of entry for people cross-shopping an Overseas. The watches that come to mind in this space and price range are the Moser Streamliner CS, the Czapek Antarctique, and the Chopard Alpine Eagle XPS. The LV is MUCH more compact than both and its movement is more refined than the Moser. The Czapek and the XPS are serious competitors that do have many advantages over the LV. That said, the LV wears thinner than the Czapek and much smaller across the wrist than the XPS. A big part of the Tambour's selling pitch is the general fit, thin profiles, and compact wrist presence. "
cy888 is offline   Reply With Quote