View Single Post
Old 16 March 2024, 05:35 AM   #38
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I've got one of these "starts with a G'" watches as well. As you say, they're almost a "greatest hits" of Rolex throughout the years - 5 digit case, 6 digit ceramic bezel insert, etc.

TBH, as long as watches aren't out-and-out fakes trying to be passed off as the genuine article (i.e. with the original brands' name and logo on the dial), then I have zero issue with them. In my own collection I have a number of 'Tudor-alike' San Martins. Why? Because I like the designs, but not enough to pay Tudor money for them. Plus they're actually very well made, they run Seiko movements that are pretty much all within COSC spec, and they're easy and fun to work on. No-one who knows watches is going to be fooled into thinking they're actual Tudors, and people who don't know watches won't care anyway.

At the end of the day I just like watches. (Fakes are another matter of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That’s exactly how I feel. I had a 5 digit Sub, and had it stolen several years ago. I loved that watch. So, this is a way for me to experience that wonderful case size, and a lot of cool attributes from different model Subs. Plus, it gets great reviews from online watch experts. Can’t wait to get it. I chose the blue bezel one, with cyclops.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to run into others here, we all obviously love a lot of Rolex design features, but I am still surprised. I ordered black ceramic bezel blue lume date with no cyclops, but the black and gold aluminum bezel with gold sand lume was really tempting. It took me about 2 months to decide. If the quality is as good as I am led to believe, I may order a retro looking model too, but I decided that was pretty close to BB58 territory in price and probably quality.

What I actually wanted to purchase this time was a Tudor Submariner, a smaller watch for low key daily wear that doesn't attract much attention, but I couldn't bring myself to pay those prices for the 4 or 5 digit quality and ETA movement without at least trying this one for 1/4th the price with a similar movement. I see some similarities between them, Rolex design features, 3rd party swiss movement, and the history... well... I've dove headfirst into the Tudor brand history with enough non watch nerds who casually said "nice watch" enough times to know it sounds just as unhinged as explaining the G brand history would, almost no one cares about either one.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote