View Single Post
Old 30 August 2015, 10:33 AM   #48
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Not trying to change the opinions of the haters, and there usually are a few, took this photo while reading the paper today, the colour the watch gives in natural light is amazing, the watch is far more dressy than a pepsi or coke. The root beer is a GMT but the experience differs with the TT effect.

Anyway, for those that like these please enjoy the shot. Currently set on the same time, but tomorrow when I fly to the USA via Japan the hour hand will do a fair bit of independent movement from local time zone in Sydney!
Many years ago, I was at a watch store in Tokyo, a store that carries a broad range of preowned watches, and a middle aged Japanese lady was buying a "root beer" GMT on an oyster bracelet for her adult son as a gift. The dealer placed the watch in its box and I must admit, I couldn't take my eyes off the watch. It was absolutely beautiful. My next door neighbor also had one, though he wore his on a jubilee bracelet. Conversely, his "root beer" had been a gift from his adult son. A few years later, I saw another one in Kame Kichi in Nakano, on the arm of a young Japanese man; and again, I was fascinated with the watch. I believe it is in that category of watches that you have to see in person to truly understand. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, like "The Hulk" perhaps, but like "The Hulk," it is special. Just my opinion...
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote