View Single Post
Old 13 January 2023, 04:18 AM   #19
jgrae
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy3912 View Post
I'm brand new to this forum, so hopefully this isn't a question that is constantly asked - but I live in NYC and work close to Diamond District. I'm looking to purchase my second Rolex (thinking about an Explorer II but haven't fully decided yet), but my question is whether Diamond District is a good place to buy it or will I be ripped off?

Obviously, this depends on which store i buy it from.. so on that point, does anyone have any recommendation for a particular vendor in the diamond district is trustworthy? The street is pretty intimidating to walk through.

FWIW - I bought my first piece online through a reputable grey market dealer, but I think I prefer to interact with someone live.. especially since I'm so close to Diamond District. Thanks for any advice!
I just purchased a watch from a dealer w/ a medium sized storefront this week. Second time I've ever been there. I don't buy many watches. I may do a lengthy writeup on the experience but I'm not even sure exactly what to make of it at this point.

They do not want you to be there to browse. To the poster who said you can go there and chat to dealers all day, that was not my experience at all. The first time I went to the diamond district I asked two different dealers to try on a Sea Dweller. Both had the same response -- "will you buy today?" And I'm like no because I've never seen one before and even if I liked it I'd have to think about it. They told me to get lost. Ok, fine. These places aren't show rooms. This several years back, a time when I realistically could have tried these watches out an an AD.

This time I had basically two watches I was choosing between and even that seemed to be trying their patience. I ignored price until I picked the one I wanted. (I was choosing between a DD2 that I could only find at this particular store [somewhat rare but unpopular dial combo] and a DD40 that are plentiful. If I wanted the DD40 I'd have gone some place else cause I wasn't having fun there).

Then I negotiated hard. Brought up Chrono 24 listings. Okay okay, that's china, those two are private. Then I brought up Moda and read him the offer price on the last four listings (in past month). He didn't like this and yea, maybe in theory they are wholesale not retail prices but it is what I could get them for with a comparable amount of sketch I was dealing with at his store. The nice places on 47th street I suppose could be considered "retail establishments" but the smaller places aren't providing a pleasant retail shopping experience. I digress.

Negotiated hard. Was genuinely willing to walk away. Got a better price than expected going in. Shook hands. Didn't charge for shipping, which he initially said was like $150. Small deposit on debit card. Wired funds next morning. Received watch the following morning. Correct/same watch, card, all agreed upon links. Sent me the L box instead of XL box as promised. Included (incorrect) manual, booklet, etc. which wasn't explicitly discussed. Between not charging for shipping, prompt delivery and including some goodies maybe he didn't need to and explicitly shafting me on the box, maybe it's even. Not sure.

There was a bit more to it. It was a generally unpleasant experience shopping in the Diamond District, but I got exactly what I wanted on something I really couldn't find elsewhere, at a price I thought was very fair. Would 100% do again.
jgrae is offline   Reply With Quote