View Single Post
Old 30 October 2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
I've always though the BB is not really for diver's as much as a fashion piece for those that wear diver's watches and don't dive. There's no wet suit extension on the bracelet, no crown guards, and the rating of 660 ft. is not exactly the accepted norm for true diving timepieces. The Pelagos is the real dive watch in the Tudor line now. You can dive with the BB certainly; but it's more concerned with form than function.
I see what you mean, and I agree that the Pelagos is a more no-nonsense design.
I also agree that at least a simple diver's extension should have been included in the clasp.

But specifically regarding the 200m rating I believe it is more a market position strategy than a real limitation. "200m-660ft" certainly looks more "vintage" on that dial, but I'm pretty sure that the BB is capable to withstand much more than 20bar in real life. The design is pretty solid.

We know that the Triplock design crown is good for more than 10 times that, to begin with.

The caseback seals in exactly the same manner as any Sub Oyster case. Being flat-ish and larger (compared to a Sub's), it could be more prone to deformation under pressure, but the threaded area is seriously reinforced and thicker. The remaining thinner part is of a much smaller diameter.

Compare it to a Sub's case back and you can see what I mean (picture borrowed from the net):

The crystal is domed, and sgnificantly thicker than the Sub's. I had mine replaced by the RSC because it was scratched, and the watchmaker was very surprised to find out that it was almost Sea Dweller thick (his words).

All in all, it seems to be a seriously engineered piece. I'm pretty sure that 20atm is just a marketing decision to keep the vintage theme and to further distance it from the Pelagos spec-wise. But, in any case, it's all just speculation…
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote