View Single Post
Old 22 October 2014, 09:36 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I will give you a straight answer to your sincere question. You might not like it.

1. You have the money to buy a luxury watch. I bought one (new Rolex DJ) when I was a private in the Army. It took almost all my cash ($625). You are young, you can make more money and you have a right to enjoy your youth. Just don't go into debt for a watch.

2. You are acting on assumptions - unfounded assumptions - in envisioning the purchase of your watch. You really do not know what various people will think of your watch, whether it is an Invicta, AP, or Rolex, and even if they will notice or care. Secondly, you assume people will recognize and steal a Rolex and not an AP. It is more likely that they will think you are wearing a fake Rolex and a real AP, if they recognize it. Gangsta types will spot an AP a mile away.

3. But here is the thing: the chances of theft are very small if you develop situational awareness, do not show off your watch (whichever it is), and ALWAYS wear it, even at night. At least until you have your own apartment with 2 locks.
Most (not all, but most) thief are not going to take the risk of robbing you unless they KNOW you are wearing a genuine expensive watch, and they will know that through you or your "friends." Most robberies of this type are based on info learned from a friend, usually unwittingly, who bragged about his friend's gold AP.

4. Learn some self-defense, not to fight off attackers, but to instill in you some confidence, so when you stroll around you won't send signals that you are a victim.

5. Learn to keep your expensive belongings in reach, and always be aware of where they are. You can learn this through practice. Don't go into dark areas alone, drink in moderation, and stay in public areas. And finally, always wear your watch. I think a Rolex Sub is best for you, but I'm biased. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PADI_Diver View Post
The main reason I ask is because I have worked hard and I am finishing up high school with good grades and test scores. I really love the AP diver, and think it would be acceptable for me since 99.99% of people I'll talk to won't recognize it as even an expensive watch due to brand unfamiliarity. This watch would cost about a thousand dollars less than half of my savings. I still think it would be more economical to get a iwc aquatimer though. No rolex for me, would get stolen for sure in college or just cause me problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote