View Single Post
Old 23 August 2018, 04:37 AM   #1
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Every model name released under the "Oyster" brand

During the 1930's-40's, when Rolex still had an agreement with Gruen not to sell Aegler-based watches in North America, the Rolex Watch Company was doing some interesting branding experimentation in Canada. All the watches sold in Canada during this time had a "Rolex Caliber 59" movement, which is actually just a finished Fontainemelon FHF30 movement.

The watches were almost all 30-32mm, and despite there only being a handful of references (3478 and 3121f were the most common, along with 3136, 3351f, etc.) there were countless names used. Brands used included Rolex, Tudor, Neptune, Aqua/Solar Aqua/Lund & Blockley Aqua, and Oyster.

This post is about the models released under the Oyster brand. Note that the model names don't exactly correlate to a reference; they seemingly put whatever dials into whatever cases they felt like.

The 21 brand names I came across are: Marconi, Rolco, Unicorn, Essex, Explorer, Lincoln, Edison, Grenfell, Centregraph, Lipton, Lady Dudley, Junior Sport, Raleigh, Commander, Recorda, Chester, Regent, Shipmate, Pioneer, Extra Prima, and simply Oyster.

Princeton Oyster
and Oyster Birks etc. I believe are co-signed by retailers; those aren't model names. "Extra prima" is also arguably not a model name and is akin to, say, "Super Precision" branding but I'll count it. The most confusing to me are the Marconi, Rolco, and Unicorn--all 3 of those names were used as brand names by RWC as well. Is it an Oyster Marconi or a Marconi Oyster?

Anyway, click here for the imgur album or scroll for pics of all these models:

Plain Oyster:

Oyster Extra Prima:

Oyster Marconi:

Oyster Rolco:

Oyster Unicorn:

Oyster Explorer:

Oyster Essex:

Oyster Lady Dudley:

Oyster Pioneer:

Oyster Shipmate:

Oyster Regent:

Oyster Chester:

Oyster Recorda:

Oyster Commander:

Oyster Raleigh:

Oyster Junior Sport:

Oyster Lipton:

Oyster Centregraph:

Oyster Grenfell:

Oyster Edison:

Oyster Lincoln:

If I've overlooked any Oyster watches please let me know.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote