View Single Post
Old 20 May 2009, 08:45 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSauce View Post
I have been reading a lot about the hardness of sapphire crystal (9.0 on the Mohs Scale) and the fact that only diamond is harder. However, it seems clear that one can scratch Sapphire crystal. I know, because I have managed to get a vary faint scratch on the crystal of my U-series SS Sub Date (ahhhrrrgggg!!!).

It has been suggested that only three things you normally encounter can scratch a sapphire crystal:
- another sapphire
- a diamond
- silicon carbide, which is used to make such things as faux stone wall paneling and stone garden furniture.

Is this true?

I am not sure if this has been raised recently, but can anyone shed some light on the issue?? What do I need to sheild my lovely watch from???

Thanks!
Have been wearing Rolex watches for well over 30 years with acrylic very easy to polish a scratch out.And with watches with Sapphire working as a dive guide and instructor for quite a few years before I retired.Have never encountered a serious scratch on any watch I was using Rolex or others.And my watches were used as tool watches and had quite a hard life.Most Rolex watches today get a very very pampered life and if scratched easily fixed with modern day abrasives like diamond paste.I have in the past used 3 micron to remove the main scratch going across the scratch first,it takes a fair bit of elbow grease.Just a tiny bit on a cloth like a spectacles cloth or similar.Then just a fine polish after with the quarter micron,and scratch will be gone,and good as new. Cost for the two tubes in the UK around £20 expect cheaper out of the UK.And far cheaper than a new crystal takes a bit of time,if scratch is very deep then should replace, sapphire can chip around the edges if struck quite hard..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder