View Single Post
Old 2 November 2014, 04:38 PM   #52
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Grade 5 titanium is not a special or higher grade of titanium than Grade 2 for example. A Grade 5 is an alloy containing 6% aluminium and 4% vanadium and has different properties to a Grade 2 which is unalloyed, a pure titanium product. There are over 10 Grades of Titanium commonly available for industrial uses. I was told by a Tudor rep they use Grade 5 and as this is the most commonly used alloy for watches there is little reason to doubt it. You are the one contending that Omega uses a superior Titanium yet you have no evidence or knowledge to support that claim.

Uhhh, I did provide evidence. I provided you a link to Omega's website. If you think Omega is lying on their website then I don't know what to say. As for evidence for the Tudor, I won't hold my breath. Word from a rep isn't sound, I've had them tell me the movement inside the is BB the same as a Rolex 114060. Watches that use grade 5 Ti usually have a price reflecting that. For the Pelagos to bear the Tudor name and it's features, it would seem an immense bargain at it's price point if it used grade 5. I will email Tudor and see if I can get something in writing.

Using the same logic as used to believe that 904L is a superior ss, I also believe grade 5 to be a better titanium. If not why would it be a discussion point.....because of marketing. Then same as 904L right.
Here's a scale that shows titanium properties.

http://mrtitanium.com/tigrades.html

Each has it's benefits, grade 5 being just as hard if not harder than ss(depending what ss) and able to take on a mirror shine, also retains its natural lighter colour, and is a bit heavier than pure Ti - unlike the more pure titaniums, which don't take on a chrome like shine, weigh much less than grade 5, are a dull grey, softer and the colour takes on a patina(which many like) in the long term.

It just depends what the person prefers. I like grade 5, but that's just what I like. The Pelagos wouldn't be any less of a watch if were grade 2, not in my eyes. Just as I don't consider a Rolex to be superior just because it uses 904L. It's the whole package and I think Tudor hit a home run with the Pelagos. We're just discussing details.

In the end it was about this new Seamaster which uses "inferior" steel that you do not like and I do. You stated your reasons and I tried to convey mine in it's defense. It seems we can agree to disagree at this point. The "best" or "better" watch can and usually is a subjective issue.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote