The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 May 2024, 03:02 AM   #1
smarriot
"TRF" Member

Buying my first GMT 16700

I have been looking to purchase a GMT 16700 'Pepsi' from 1999 to mark a significant event. I have now found a great model available from a (seemingly)reputable UK dealer (endorsed on this forum) which is available with original box and a 'full collector set' (booklets, Rolex guarantee card, green wallet, green chronometer tag, white serial tag, watch register certificate). It looks perfect, but before I make the purchase, is there any advice on anything I should be looking out for, or any advice before I proceed? Any help gratefully received by a novice buyer!
smarriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 04:11 AM   #2
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
if you can snap a good pic of the face and post it here, lots of help available after we see the pc you are considering
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 05:01 AM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Check the dial is 1999 not a service one. A and U serial 'swiss' footer plus other footers of course.

Worth checking the engravings are correct and hands too are matching the dial (eg Tritium and tritium or Luminova and Luminova), also that the bracelet is correct as are the end links.

Also check the serviceable items eg insert is not aftermarket or service if it bothers you, as per Sapphire glass and crown too vis service or aftermarket items.

In short throw up a link to listing or photos perhaps best....

The 16700 is the thinnest of of the sapphires, and btw was circa 2/3 the price of the other GMT available at the same time the 16760 Gmt2 price has narrowed a lot just like 5512 v 5513 have, and it is a nice piece, but there are some horrors out there !
And hope that we will never see the truth around
Uprising - MUSE
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 05:37 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A 16700 is a great watch, if you like the deal and it is in good condition, go for it.

However, it would not have come with a green chronometer tag, or a white tag, so likely everything else may not be original to the watch. Collectors actually want the original accessories, not some cobbled together later.
Old 17 May 2024, 11:17 PM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Check the dial is 1999 not a service one. A and U serial 'swiss' footer plus other footers of course.

Worth checking the engravings are correct and hands too are matching the dial (eg Tritium and tritium or Luminova and Luminova), also that the bracelet is correct as are the end links.

Also check the serviceable items eg insert is not aftermarket or service if it bothers you, as per Sapphire glass and crown too vis service or aftermarket items.

In short throw up a link to listing or photos perhaps best....

The 16700 is the thinnest of of the sapphires, and btw was circa 2/3 the price of the other GMT available at the same time the 16760 Gmt2 price has narrowed a lot just like 5512 v 5513 have, and it is a nice piece, but there are some horrors out there !
I'm curious Turo, what type of "horrors" are you referring to regarding the GMT 16700. For me, with its limited production, it was one of the finest sapphire GMTs available - especially with the true, quick-set date feature.

Note: As Tools mentioned the correct hang tags are depicted in the photo below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_2750.medsm..jpg (128.3 KB, 115 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 11:43 PM   #6
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Post photos or links, no one is going to buy the watch from under you. Lots of good guys on this forum looking to help people not step in a pile of crap.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 12:03 AM   #7
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I'm curious Turo, what type of "horrors" are you referring to regarding the GMT 16700. For me, with its limited production, it was one of the finest sapphire GMTs available - especially with the true, quick-set date feature.

The horrors I'm referring to are quite a few molested/wrong 16700 pieces (not particular to 16700 of course) I've looked over last 15-20 yrs that have one or more of (and one 'set' had nearly all the following).... wrong dial, fake hands, aftermarket crown and sapphire, aftermarket caseback and wrong or fake papers, books, tags, fake boxes end links and fake bracelets.

And yes tools is of course right... hologram red and green square tag and your photo super helpful to OP.

Nb - I've not handled any myself, but the Rolex Authenticated used stuff I believe comes with a white seal/green centre/gold writing* below, and is the only exception (albeit retrospectively), to correct/legitimate red hologram seal for 99.

https://newsroom.rolex.com/about-rol...wned-programme
Uprising - MUSE
Old 18 May 2024, 01:28 AM   #8
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome to the forum. The 16700 is my favorite 5 digit piece. I'm not an as sharp as some of our fellow TRF members but know someone here will give you the advice you need.
Old 20 May 2024, 08:30 PM   #9
smarriot
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback received so far. The watch is available for sale from 'The Swiss-Link' based in the UK; the forum won't allow me to include attachments as I have insufficient posts apparently!
smarriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 09:02 PM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

For all...

https://theswisslink.co.uk/watches/r...or-set-10250/#

Only a 20 sec look, but tags etc look appropriate....
Uprising - MUSE
Old 20 May 2024, 09:23 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

That’s a beautiful set JP
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote