The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 August 2020, 04:15 AM   #1
SJ2020
"TRF" Member

Going from subc date to AP diver ?

Hello everyone

I have a submariner date ceramic and was thinking of selling and buying a used AP ROO Diver . I heard these are not too reliable compared to the sub . Any thoughts?
SJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #2
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Sub is definitely a more reliable watch, better looking too. But hey, its your watch, $, and wrists.
Old 25 August 2020, 04:30 AM   #3
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

I have pondered the same thing. I would probably not make that trade even though the AP, especially the 15703, is sweet.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:40 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

Be sure to try it on first. I've owned the AP Diver. Twice. I really want to love it but it just not comfortable on my wrist, and it is a tad too big.

Sea-Dweller 4000 (ref 116600) is where it is at :-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:45 AM   #5
SJ2020
"TRF" Member

I believe it's the newer model. I would shell out roughly 4.5k
Old 25 August 2020, 04:49 AM   #6
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I bought one recently, a 2015 white dial with exhibition case back, it's on a totally different level to a submariner and can't even be compared.
In the flesh looks way better than the boring sub.
Finish is superb, hand finishing on the movement is just beautiful and so comfortable as caseback is flat over the whole watch so nothing to dig in.
Buy it and move up to a higher level, you won't regret it
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:54 AM   #7
SJ2020
"TRF" Member

how often do i really have to service it?
Old 25 August 2020, 04:56 AM   #8
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I had to google the AP to see what it looks like....uhhhh I am sure it is an acquired taste. It kinda looks like a big bolt. To each their own.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 04:59 AM   #9
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Not for me, appreciate the brand though
Old 25 August 2020, 05:05 AM   #10
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
I never understood the draw of AP products. They all look like something Buck Rogers would wear in the short lived 80's series. I guess it is an acquired taste and your money. Buy what you like.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:06 AM   #11
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I pondered this heavily a few years ago, until I tried it on. The dial was beautiful, but that was the extent of the appeal. Also, based on my lifestyle and wearing habits I would destroy that bezel.
Big no-go for me, Submariner all day and in my case I went with a Deepsea which on my wrist they both look the same size in diameter, thickness was obviously different. Never looked back. And yes, the movements reliability was a big concern, although the new AP Diver has the new movement which is supposed to perform better, regardless, I believe more in the basic peasant looking 3135 then I do the beautifully decorated 3120 or whatever it's derivative.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:17 AM   #12
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I bought a sub and then a Diver, Diver has alot more wrist presence and is not for shrinking violets, love the dial and the tapisserie and it was comfy with the sturdy rubber strap, I happily owned both for quite a while.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #13
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I tried on an ROO and it wears a lot bigger. I wouldn't consider it a "trade up". You could move the Sub pretty easy to get into something more your liking.

What is it about the Sub that makes you want to sell it?
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:19 AM   #14
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ2020 View Post
how often do i really have to service it?
Problems tend to show up early and you will have the warranty, which is 5 years now, plus AP service is fast and polite and the best in the business.
Old 25 August 2020, 05:25 AM   #15
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
I never understood the draw of AP products. They all look like something Buck Rogers would wear in the short lived 80's series. I guess it is an acquired taste and your money. Buy what you like.
I concur
Old 25 August 2020, 05:26 AM   #16
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
Sub is definitely a more reliable watch, better looking too. But hey, its your watch, $, and wrists.
I concur
Old 25 August 2020, 05:32 AM   #17
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ2020 View Post
Hello everyone

I have a submariner date ceramic and was thinking of selling and buying a used AP ROO Diver . I heard these are not too reliable compared to the sub . Any thoughts?
The ROO chrono is a thicker watch then the diver. The diver is thinner and has just the right amount of heft, it really feels like a milion dollars on the wrist. I was never a fan of AP until I tried it on and saw it in person. Try it on for yourself and see what you think. If not the new RO chrono is sporty and more understated but still has the sharp AP lines.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:33 AM   #18
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Keep the sub and add an AP
Old 25 August 2020, 05:41 AM   #19
KBM

As a happy owner of both pieces, I'm having difficulty with the comparison you're trying to make. They're completely different watches at completely different price points. The only similarity here is water resistance... apples to oranges, really.

In my view, the AP diver - as any Royal Oak - needs to be seen as an object of design, first and foremost. For an offshore diver, function really follows form. AP is a high horology brand, and much of the diver's allure comes from its esquisite finishing, movement included (ever seen a picture of Rolex's 3135?).

There have been reports of some issues with caliber 3120, which were mostly addressed in its early stages. This takes nothing away from the appeal, as I'm sure you're aware that Rolex's caliber 3255, used in the DD 40's also experienced some early hiccups. As Neil said so well above, there is certainly place for both in a collection.

Whatever you choose, both timeless designs, lauded throughout recent watchmaking history. To echo other comments above, I do also suggest trying the diver on, if you are worried about its size. It wears similar to a 43mm round watch.

Good luck in your quest, OP.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:20 AM   #20
opaline460
"TRF" Member

I really liked the Diver but was too big, I had to let it go.
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:27 AM   #21
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Your choice, no one else's, but research the pro's and con's before deciding.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:36 AM   #22
dukie748
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't do it even if I was offered a straight trade, just not a fan of the ROO.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 08:20 AM   #23
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It’s the ideal daily wearer for me.

Best thing is to try it on and then decide as it’s not for everyone.

The hand work inside and out, twinned with the amazing design is really a joy to wear each day.

So far it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it without mechanical issue.

And having seen one fully deconstructed on the watchmakers bench at the AP service centre, they are built like absolute tanks.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:03 AM   #24
AK797
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
As a happy owner of both pieces, I'm having difficulty with the comparison you're trying to make. They're completely different watches at completely different price points. The only similarity here is water resistance... apples to oranges, really.

In my view, the AP diver - as any Royal Oak - needs to be seen as an object of design, first and foremost. For an offshore diver, function really follows form. AP is a high horology brand, and much of the diver's allure comes from its esquisite finishing, movement included (ever seen a picture of Rolex's 3135?).

There have been reports of some issues with caliber 3120, which were mostly addressed in its early stages. This takes nothing away from the appeal, as I'm sure you're aware that Rolex's caliber 3255, used in the DD 40's also experienced some early hiccups. As Neil said so well above, there is certainly place for both in a collection.

Whatever you choose, both timeless designs, lauded throughout recent watchmaking history. To echo other comments above, I do also suggest trying the diver on, if you are worried about its size. It wears similar to a 43mm round watch.

Well now using a pic of your mighty CE is cheating, but perfectly matched with your WG Sub.
Old 25 August 2020, 09:35 AM   #25
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Going from subc date to AP diver ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It’s the ideal daily wearer for me.

Best thing is to try it on and then decide as it’s not for everyone.

The hand work inside and out, twinned with the amazing design is really a joy to wear each day.

So far it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it without mechanical issue.

And having seen one fully deconstructed on the watchmakers bench at the AP service centre, they are built like absolute tanks.

Your black dial is lovely! Hard to choose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post

Kaue, that ceramic is killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well now using a pic of your mighty CE is cheating, but perfectly matched with your WG Sub.

I have the white dial. I think about the ceramic every week. What an illness I have!

OP, You are getting some good feedback from owners here, with lots of experience. I’m new to AP. Had some ROO Chronos. Loved them but a tad too tall. So I swapped to a Diver. It’s comfortable for me.

My wife’s feedback on the 15710 “ewwwww, that looks like 1980 all over again.” At least I don’t have to worry about her wearing it. The AP is an acquired (or not) taste. Now, the ceramic Daytona; she loves that one!

Mine has the sapphire case back and the movement is stunning. I would only get one where I could see the movement. Service is not an issue. My watchmaker can fix anything. And I’ve had AP service other watches before I sold them. AP in Florida is great! Awesome and consistently fast and helpful.

It’s a situation where you are buying a brand that makes 40-50 thousand watches per year versus a million watches per year with Rolex. It’s just.... different.

Rolex is my favorite brand. Love them above all others. I just wanted to have a piece like this, other than Rolex. Patek does not appeal to me (yet). I wear this; I know what it is; no one else does. It’s just for me. Like White Gold or Platinum. I wear those metals because I prefer the color most times.

I have a 7.25” flat wrist. Sharing some pics so you can compare with images. But you really need to try one on. What’s the most comfortable for me? Submariner. But our eyes wander and sometimes we want to try new things.

116619 Ceramic Submariner Date vs Audemars 15710ST. 126660 DBlue for added comparison. And the Deepsea is tall, but man it’s comfortable. And I fell in love with it. It’s more comfortable for me than the Audemars 15710 because of the cushion-style case back on the DBlue.

Old 25 August 2020, 09:42 AM   #26
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

I have the white dial. I think about the ceramic every week. What an illness I have!

OP, You are getting some good feedback from owners here, with lots of experience. I’m new to AP. Had some ROO Chronos. Loved them but a tad too tall. So I swapped to a Diver. It’s comfortable for me.

My wife’s feedback on the 15710 “ewwwww, that looks like 1980 all over again.” At least I don’t have to worry about her wearing it. The AP is an acquired (or not) taste. Now, the ceramic Daytona; she loves that one!

Mine has the sapphire case back and the movement is stunning. I would only get one where I could see the movement. Service is not an issue. My watchmaker can fix anything. And I’ve had AP service other watches before I sold them. AP in Florida is great! Awesome and consistently fast and helpful.

It’s a situation where you are buying a brand that makes 40-50 thousand watches per year versus a million watches per year with Rolex. It’s just.... different.

Rolex is my favorite brand. Love them above all others. I just wanted to have a piece like this, other than Rolex. Patek does not appeal to me (yet). I wear this; I know what it is; no one else does. It’s just for me. Like White Gold or Platinum. I wear those metals because I prefer the color most times.

I have a 7.25” flat wrist. Sharing some pics so you can compare with images. But you really need to try one on. What’s the most comfortable for me? Submariner. But our eyes wander and sometimes we want to try new things.

116619 Ceramic Submariner Date vs Audemars 15710ST. 126660 DBlue for added comparison. And the Deepsea is tall, but man it’s comfortable. And I fell in love with it. It’s more comfortable for me than the Audemars 15710 because of the cushion-style case back on the DBlue.

[/QUOTE]

Nice collection!! Great pictures for comparison and honest feedback from someone with first hand experience.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:51 AM   #27
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I actually did that exact thing a few years back... and had issues with it. Sent into AP two times for low PR and would stop running altogether, decided I missed the bullet-proof reliability of Rolex so sold it and bought a BLNR
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:55 AM   #28
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Thank you, my friend! My favorite version of each watch!
Old 25 August 2020, 09:57 AM   #29
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
Your black dial is lovely! Hard to choose!

Kaue, that ceramic is killer!

Many thanks, Grant! Love your white one as well, and came close to pulling the trigger on one before the CE came along!
Old 25 August 2020, 10:03 AM   #30
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post

Nice collection!! Great pictures for comparison and honest feedback from someone with first hand experience.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Folks on here have helped me a ton, with similar comparisons and input.