The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2014, 08:11 AM   #1
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
Anybody experienced this on a 5711?

The other day I noticed the date on my watch hadn't fully locked into position. Has anybody experienced this problem before? I contacted my AD and was told this was a common problem with 5711s. Sure its under warranty and I can take it but this is a new watch (only 2 weeks that I've owned it). Next question, once it gets repaired does that take care of the problem?

FYI, I was able to advance the date and it has worked fine the last coupe of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch problem.jpg (56.3 KB, 485 views)
gtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
I've never owned one. But that would concern me....
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 09:25 AM   #3
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
When did you set the time last? This happens if you change it close to midnight.
Old 25 January 2014, 09:30 AM   #4
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
When did you set the time last? This happens if you change it close to midnight.
The time was set at the dealer when I bought it and I wear it everyday so I've never changed the time.
Old 25 January 2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Love-Vintage
"TRF" Member

Wow gorgeous watch!
Love-Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 10:29 AM   #6
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have seen this issue and researched it before I bought mine.

Apparently it is a known issue that may happen and can be repaired. It has not happened to mine after 6 months.

https://www.rolexforums.com/~trfcom/...d.php?t=284212

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=309867
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

It happened to my 3 month old 5167 as well. It's a known issue, best to change the date by setting the hands to 6 o'clock.

Took it back to the service centre and they quoted 5 months to repair. It took a lot of back and forth and they returned the watch after 4 weeks, no further issues since.
Misterchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 01:32 PM   #8
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
This is a well known issue with the 5711's.

I would send it in to PP under warranty and have it corrected. The members that have sent theres in didn't seem to have a problem once they got it back from PP
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Royalex
"TRF" Member

Just curious, since it is a well known issue of 324 movement, why don't they fix it in the first place from the factory. PP seal means something?
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Not like one of these was on my short list, but after hearing this is a known problem, it's off my list period.. Good luck op
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 02:07 PM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Mine has never exhibited this issue in two years of ownership.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 03:29 PM   #12
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
This is a well known issue with the 5711's.

I would send it in to PP under warranty and have it corrected. The members that have sent theres in didn't seem to have a problem once they got it back from PP

Yep, my AD asked me to keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will send it to him. Its kinda frustrating to have this issue since it so new but as I posted its no different than owning a Ferrari, equivalent nagging problems. High end crap just breaks and is not reliable. Oh well, I could have bought a Timex...I think NOT.

I'm sure my PP will be just fine!
Old 25 January 2014, 04:42 PM   #13
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
Yep, my AD asked me to keep an eye on it and if it happens again I will send it to him. Its kinda frustrating to have this issue since it so new but as I posted its no different than owning a Ferrari, equivalent nagging problems. High end crap just breaks and is not reliable. Oh well, I could have bought a Timex...I think NOT.

I'm sure my PP will be just fine!
I had a minor problem with my 5712 when it was brand new as well. Yes its expensive and yes very few ever have issues but sometimes it happens. Mine was fixed & returned in a very timely manner and have not had a problem since

If you do decide to have it sent in to Patek make sure you stress to your AD how disappointed you are having to send it in after having just bought and and how it loses some of the "excitement" of having bought it. Make sure they push patek for a very fast turn around the fastest I have ever seen is a 2 week turn around including Quality control check after repairs.
They might also get Patek to throw in some goodies :) may I recommend the leather patek travel case
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Just give it a firm tap on the side and it'll correct itself.
Old 26 January 2014, 08:23 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalex View Post
Just curious, since it is a well known issue of 324 movement, why don't they fix it in the first place from the factory. PP seal means something?
Likely they have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
Not like one of these was on my short list, but after hearing this is a known problem, it's off my list period.. Good luck op
Good plan. Hope you continue to only buy perfectly manufactured products!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2014, 10:11 AM   #16
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
I had a minor problem with my 5712 when it was brand new as well. Yes its expensive and yes very few ever have issues but sometimes it happens. Mine was fixed & returned in a very timely manner and have not had a problem since

If you do decide to have it sent in to Patek make sure you stress to your AD how disappointed you are having to send it in after having just bought and and how it loses some of the "excitement" of having bought it. Make sure they push patek for a very fast turn around the fastest I have ever seen is a 2 week turn around including Quality control check after repairs.
They might also get Patek to throw in some goodies :) may I recommend the leather patek travel case
Good plan :)
Old 26 January 2014, 10:30 AM   #17
gtbguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
I wouldn't let this one problem change your view of this watch. Having owned (and still own) several Rolexes for many years I've never had any problems but the fact that they are large I always felt somewhat self-confident wearing it (especially if you happen to find yourself in a sketchy part of town or clients staring at your wrist and saying that your rich because you own one). I haven't owned this Patek for very long but when I do wear it its not as obvious and its a bit "under the radar" (from a noticeable point of view). Not many really know what a Patek is but EVERYBODY knows a Rolex. At least for me, I'm beyond wearing something so obvious around my wrist and instead prefer something a bit less noticeable.
Old 26 January 2014, 11:01 AM   #18
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I never had this problem before on my 5711.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote