The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2012, 11:59 AM   #1
C.anderson

Icon6 If Money Were No Object

http://thechive.com/2012/10/09/what-...-object-video/

Some of you will agree with this philosophy, others will disagree. Nonetheless, very interesting to think about..
C.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
I really enjoyed seeing this and 100 % correct . . . but unfortunatnatly . . . a dream for most of us . . .

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
Very interesting video. Too few people actually are blessed to do what they love and make a decent living at the same time.

I for one would like to see my kids grow up without having to sacrifice a day due to business responsibilities and fish while they're at school. Unfortunately, I cannot see a viable way to fulfill that wish.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Unfortunately the first people to tell others to stop worrying about money are people who don't have to worry about money.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It is the best way to discover what you love, and would be willing to do for no money.

But there is a flaw in the false choice the writer sets up. It is this: You can do something you do not love and do it solely for money. It doesn't mean you will be miserable.

The prize is to work hard for 30 years and make money so you can quit that thing and then pursue what you love for your final 30 years.

It is about balance, you can have both, and it works.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Interesting but all the things I really enjoy cost $$$ and very, very, very few get paid for it. After I finished my undergrad with a few friends of mine we joined the SKA (Southern Kingfish Association, king mackerel fishing) and tried to pull out a career fishing. We were done after 7-8 months. Spent almost every penny we had together. Between entry fees and Calcuttas, equipment, gas, boat upkeep etc we were in well into 6 figures and even got some sponsor help from Contender, Pelagic, Shell, Furuno, etc. with the exception of the Contender sponsorship they were very minor. I still have a few good friends doing it but the stress is unbelievable. Even if you are absolutely in love with what you do it still becomes a job at a point. Maybe if what you are doing isn't competitive it would be different but when you work your ass off two months and have $100k worth of bills and get to split $7k between 5 people its just downright disheartening. I can say I tried doing what I loved and it didn't work out. At least I gave it a shot but I'm looking for a job I like that gives me some kind of fulfillment that also pays well so I can do what I enjoy when I'm not working. Also doing what you love everyday you begin to take it for granted. It just boils down to personal choices and what you personally would like to do.

Final thought. Those telling you money doesn't matter, do what you love, etc either have ZERO money or so much they don't have concept of it.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Unfortunately the first people to tell others to stop worrying about money are people who don't have to worry about money.
Spot on. This was my first though, well this guy probably has a comfortable life, and was one of the lucky few who made a fortune doing what he loves.

I wonder how many days we could live if we were all painters or poets?

Ever tried eating a painting? Drinking a poem?

It's a poetic dream.
Old 10 October 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
If you like this video, you should watch a documentary called "Happy" (it's on Netflix). It's good stuff.

Interesting point regarding "worrying about money": it's shown that once you've got enough money to meet your most basic needs (food, shelter, clothing), having more money doesn't increase your mean happiness level. Due to Hedonic Adaptation, no matter how much we have, we adapt to that level of lifestyle and desire more. Seeking out more money (or stuff, or attention, or success) is proven not to lead to happiness. It is a myth that having more leads to happiness.

I don't fully believe we should all quit our day jobs and seek out our hobbies as a full-time gig, though. As humans, it's part of our condition to have to do things we don't particularly enjoy in order to survive. This may change in the future, but we've evolved to be able to handle the daily tribulations & challenges of survival (our jobs) emotionally. Thus, human emotion is relativistic. The things that make us unhappy set a baseline for us to judge our happiness against. No one can be happy all the time.

Another interesting point... statistics show that those who are passionate about their careers, and pursue work (extrinsic) goals are the least happy. Japan is statistically the unhappiest society on Earth today. The people who pursue intrinsic goals (family, love, charity) have the highest median happiness level. So if you do something you are passionate about for work, you're probably more likely to spend more time doing it, and neglecting the aspects of life that statistics show truly make us happy.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
If you like this video, you should watch a documentary called "Happy" (it's on Netflix). It's good stuff.

Interesting point regarding "worrying about money": it's shown that once you've got enough money to meet your most basic needs (food, shelter, clothing), having more money doesn't increase your mean happiness level. Due to Hedonic Adaptation, no matter how much we have, we adapt to that level of lifestyle and desire more. Seeking out more money (or stuff, or attention, or success) is proven not to lead to happiness. It is a myth that having more leads to happiness.

I don't fully believe we should all quit our day jobs and seek out our hobbies as a full-time gig, though. As humans, it's part of our condition to have to do things we don't particularly enjoy in order to survive. This may change in the future, but we've evolved to be able to handle the daily tribulations & challenges of survival (our jobs) emotionally. Thus, human emotion is relativistic. The things that make us unhappy set a baseline for us to judge our happiness against. No one can be happy all the time.

Another interesting point... statistics show that those who are passionate about their careers, and pursue work (extrinsic) goals are the least happy. Japan is statistically the unhappiest society on Earth today. The people who pursue intrinsic goals (family, love, charity) have the highest median happiness level. So if you do something you are passionate about for work, you're probably more likely to spend more time doing it, and neglecting the aspects of life that statistics show truly make us happy.
Steve how is your stomach ?

Back normal ?

HAGOne

Old 10 October 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Interesting but all the things I really enjoy cost $$$ and very, very, very few get paid for it. After I finished my undergrad with a few friends of mine we joined the SKA (Southern Kingfish Association, king mackerel fishing) and tried to pull out a career fishing. We were done after 7-8 months. Spent almost every penny we had together. Between entry fees and Calcuttas, equipment, gas, boat upkeep etc we were in well into 6 figures and even got some sponsor help from Contender, Pelagic, Shell, Furuno, etc. with the exception of the Contender sponsorship they were very minor. I still have a few good friends doing it but the stress is unbelievable. Even if you are absolutely in love with what you do it still becomes a job at a point. Maybe if what you are doing isn't competitive it would be different but when you work your ass off two months and have $100k worth of bills and get to split $7k between 5 people its just downright disheartening. I can say I tried doing what I loved and it didn't work out. At least I gave it a shot but I'm looking for a job I like that gives me some kind of fulfillment that also pays well so I can do what I enjoy when I'm not working. Also doing what you love everyday you begin to take it for granted. It just boils down to personal choices and what you personally would like to do.

Final thought. Those telling you money doesn't matter, do what you love, etc either have ZERO money or so much they don't have concept of it.
As Gunter mentions whatever you like to do . . . money is involved . . .

Without . . . project zero I am afraid . . .

Bills will hunt us . . . forever . . .

Anyway I am trying to start in LA next year but were already busy with the new project . . .

Hope this is the one that will give me satisfaction, no stress, etc . . .

Hope . . . but the love is already involved . . . so it's a little bit easier . . .

Hey . . . let me dreams for once ;-)

HAGOne

Old 10 October 2012, 09:21 PM   #11
mattpeyton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub C
As a person who is chasing the dream.....and struggling with that occasionally, allow me to share below. Forgive me if its too 'biographic' and feel free to hit 'page' if it reads too long....

I'm a full time working photographer. Its one of the things I really wanted to in high school, that and music. I left corporate America (publishing and advertising) at the age of 35 to take up a camera and go for it. Did my time with the local papers and news wires. Started to book larger commercial jobs after 3 years, now were about 75 percent commercial/creative and 25 percent assignment (mostly PR and events PR). I look back on the guy I was from 22 to 35 and the guy I am now, and although back then I thought I would be a CEO by now, and have a few Ferarris. I drive an Impreza, I live in a nice middle class suburb of NYC, my wife produces our jobs. On slow days I can ride my bike or play music....

Having said ALL of that, money is still the stressor. Some months good, some months not as good. Overall - pretty good. However, If there hadn't been SOME resources in the family I would have lost it all in the 2008 crash as everything stopped and canceled the same day. Our biggest client went bankrupt and sued all its vendors (our can do that under us bankruptcy law by the way).

Would I turn back the clock and skip the 13 years I spent in offices and building websites? I can say that those experiences make me the guy I am now.... the rough edges got wore off me and I'm a lot more grateful now when things come out beautifully.

Happy? Most days. I have the things I need to get the job done, some luxuries. (Guitars and a couple of watches). The moments that bring me the most joy are simple things with my wife and son (8).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
mattpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2012, 10:39 PM   #12
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Steve how is your stomach ? Back normal ?
Yeah, man, all better. Thanks.
Old 10 October 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, man, all better. Thanks.
Great to hear . . .

To be honest I had tears in my eyes reading your post . . .

I can stand a little bit of 'hot' food but what they served you . . . ?

HAGOne

Old 10 October 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpeyton View Post

Happy? Most days. I have the things I need to get the job done, some luxuries. (Guitars and a couple of watches). The moments that bring me the most joy are simple things with my wife and son (8).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
If you are already sometimes happy . . . together with your family . . priceless ! ! !

And I want to have fun in life . . . most of the time . . .

That's why I want to move (NO . . I am going to move) to LA.

Maybe not a dream for most of you but for me as Belgian it is my goal.

And I always tell myself . . . we only have 1 trip in life . . . some say that we 7 lives . . . but I doubt it . . .

So I try to have fun all day long . . . but not always easy . . . I know . . .

Take care all

HAGOne

Old 11 October 2012, 06:51 AM   #15
C.anderson

I knew this would spark great conversation. I agree..We can't live without money, but it's an amazing feeling to do what you love, and to get paid for it as a bonus. More times than others though, if you do what you love for money, you begin to hate it. The fun is drained when worrying about money comes into play.
C.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 08:04 AM   #16
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I can say that in my life I have tried to do the things that I liked to do, or simply wanted to do, without regard to money and in many ways I succeeded in doing that and as a result I really don't have the kind of life that most people would aspire to, although I must admit that I am quite pleased with the outcome and that I do enjoy life, living as I do in a frugal manner.

I think that it is true that people do follow a path that will yield lots of money doing things they may not enjoy in hopes that the money can provide the kinds of things that they do enjoy.

I cannot wholly fault those who seek such a path, mainly because I know the things I forfeited in my pursuit of a life on my own terms. I can say that while I would not wish my life on anyone else, I would not change lives with anyone who has ever lived on this planet.

There are many people who have lived better lives than their parents because their parents sacrificed their own pleasures in the hopes that their children could live their dreams.

One other side note to the video in question. Mr. Watts says that he's advising those nearing college graduation.

It can be hard for those graduating with tens of thousands of dollars in debt to just do what they like and not worry about the money.

Life is infinitely complex and thank God there are those who seek to do their duty rather than simply seek to do that which they prefer to do, not that such is necessarily mutually exclusive.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 08:40 AM   #17
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
thanks for that
I really enjoyed that
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 01:26 PM   #18
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
Thanks for posting. Inspirational
SPARTAN2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 02:39 PM   #19
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.anderson View Post
I knew this would spark great conversation. I agree..We can't live without money, but it's an amazing feeling to do what you love, and to get paid for it as a bonus. More times than others though, if you do what you love for money, you begin to hate it. The fun is drained when worrying about money comes into play.
You can love what you do without doing what you love most. The real keys I've found to being content with your career are: 1) do work that you find intellectually and creatively challenging, 2) choose a field / company in which you will really get along with your coworkers, 3) never work more than 40 hours per week (if your job requires it on a regular basis, restructure the requirements with your employer or find a new job), and 4) reinvent your career every few years (not necessarily changing careers... something as simple as a change of focus, department, or employer works well.)
Old 11 October 2012, 02:51 PM   #20
77T

Quote:
You can love what you do without doing what you love most. The real keys I've found to being content with your career are: 1) do work that you find intellectually and creatively challenging, 2) choose a field / company in which you will really get along with your coworkers, 3) never work more than 40 hours per week (if your job requires it on a regular basis, restructure the requirements with your employer or find a new job), and 4) reinvent your career every few years (not necessarily changing careers... something as simple as a change of focus, department, or employer works well.)
I agree with your opening - and with #1, 2 & 4. But why is #3 especially important to happiness with your career? If you balance it well, 50 hrs shouldn't break anyone's spirit.

I think the backbone of our economy worldwide is the small businessperson, tradesperson, farmer or individual professional - and they would sink putting in just 40 hrs. a week...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2012, 09:32 PM   #21
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree with your opening - and with #1, 2 & 4. But why is #3 especially important to happiness with your career? If you balance it well, 50 hrs shouldn't break anyone's spirit.

I think the backbone of our economy worldwide is the small businessperson, tradesperson, farmer or individual professional - and they would sink putting in just 40 hrs. a week...
Oh, I've been a 50-80 hour week guy most of my life. And I thought I was happy. When I sold my business last year, I took a job with a bigger tech company, which is strictly 40 hours a week. What I've learned is something I never knew before. Balance. Working only 40 hours, I have time for my hobbies, social life, AND physical fitness (every day). I used to have to choose, and most days I would come home exhausted and just crash. In general, I'm less tired, less stressed, more fit, healthier, and happier than I've ever been. Those extra 2 hours a day mean a lot when you can fill them with things that are important to a healthy lifestyle.
Old 11 October 2012, 10:49 PM   #22
pknopp

I think "brilliant mind" is a bit of a stretch. I had a college professor that made basically the same argument 30 years ago. This isn't something new, it's just a rehash of what has been taught for decades.

If it was a valid idea overall, everyone would do it.
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 12:04 AM   #23
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, I've been a 50-80 hour week guy most of my life. And I thought I was happy. . . . Those extra 2 hours a day mean a lot when you can fill them with things that are important to a healthy lifestyle.
Been there . . . done it . . . 80 hours was a minimum . . .

I sold the business and now I work from home . . .

Got time to take & get my daughter from school . . . we have great time together . . . .

All we need is quality time !

This improves our quality of life and I had forgot that . . . for a while at least ;-)

HAGOne

Old 12 October 2012, 02:49 AM   #24
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I think "brilliant mind" is a bit of a stretch. I had a college professor that made basically the same argument 30 years ago. This isn't something new, it's just a rehash of what has been taught for decades.
Indeed!
I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.--Harry Truman

From an interview with Edward R. Murrow on CBS Television (27 May 1955)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2012, 03:30 AM   #25
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Alan Watts is a zen buddhist type guy. His critique of the junk lifestyle is correct.
However, there are many compromises in life that are necessary for people to get from point "A" to point "B". Some people live at subsistence leve(there are millions of these people)doing what makes one happy is not an option for people who are barely surviving.

I agree when he makes the point that we are better doing things we like (or even better, things we love) than things we do not.....and I agree with the point that money should come second in making life decisions.......but it must be said that this advice is easier to follow when times are good...........
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote