The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 September 2023, 12:41 AM   #1
buddenfan
Banned

Whats the best watch cleaning cloth?

Whats the best watch cleaning cloth to clean fingerprints dust etc off watches without scratching them? We all adore watches and love to hold them wear them etc which makes the watch susceptible to finger prints etc. I am looking for a cloth to wipe down a watch before wearing it for the evening.
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 01:12 AM   #2
Normunds
"TRF" Member

what's wrong with clean tshirt or any microfiber cloth? they both do job well.
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:50 PM   #3
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

This should be incredibly simple. Take basically any piece of clothing, a towel, etc. and wipe the watch. It shouldn’t scratch it. If wearing watches makes them susceptible to fingerprints, it also makes them much more susceptible to scratches. You are much much more likely to scratch your watch from wearing it than you are from wiping it down with a cloth.

I’m having trouble believing this is a legitimate post and I’m not being trolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 05:29 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Any cloth that is really clean and free from household dust
Old 7 September 2023, 05:35 PM   #5
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
whatever t-shirt i happen to be wearing.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 01:17 AM   #6
kunlun
"TRF" Member

The tongue, I lick down my watches before wearing.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 07:24 AM   #7
djnick
"TRF" Member

supposedly using your t-shirt and not a micro fiber cloth can cause tiny micro scratches. I don't know true this is but then again i've never looked myself under a a microscope. Even with under 10x loupe I didnt see any "scratches"
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 09:01 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Only use microfiber cloths or lens cloths. Wet the surface if you can with warm water. Any wet mild soap will help to lubricate the surface and minimize scratching. Regular clothing will scratch high gloss metal finishes. It is why so many vintage watches have dull and multi micro scratched finishes. People just dry wiped them with their shirt cuff, trouser or tie back then.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2023, 03:55 PM   #9
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
The only important thing is temove all solid dust and sand first with soap and water only (maybe with your fingers), after this you can dry it with anything.

There is no material which is harder then sapphire crystal or metal, so none of a textile can harm your watch. To do this, IMHO nowadays a microfiber towel is the best, but only if you don't use a fine towel for your handwash.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 09:19 AM   #10
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Best cloth I've found, hands down, so good I actually bought more, is the free microfiber cloth that comes with Chris reeve knives. Stupid over priced to buy separately and I keep looking for a generic one as good but still haven't found its equal for glasses and watches.

https://chrisreeve.com/products/crk-microfiber-cloth
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 03:31 PM   #11
Winni123
"TRF" Member

I've used a microfiber glasses cloth to clean my watch and it worked fine. Glasses are as fragile as watches, I suppose.
Winni123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 03:50 PM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Wiping any watch with a cloth of any sort can/will cause micro scratches. Best advice is to wipe as little as possible and when you do make sure the cloth is perfectly clean and the watch is free of anything that might scratch if rubbed. The rule is the same as it is for cars, most paintwork scratches are caused when a car is cleaned.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

+1 whatever tshirt i'm wearing. Also have used the towel that i dry off from the shower. If in the kitchen, a hand cloth works well.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM   #14
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
I was given a box of alcohol lens cleaners by my optician when I bought some vari-focals, they are smear proof and work a treat .. £4 for 30, then dispose of them ..
another way to clean inside pcls or sides of your watch use neat alcohol and an ear bud, a watchmaker recommended this ..
Can use your wives old pants like some of these commenting on here do .. but what I’ve recommended works nicely ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM   #15
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Depends on the material of the watch. If stainless steel and relatively water proof, just rinse it quickly and if it needs some washing, use some foam and gently rinse the watch. Then you can use a clean micro fiber cloth preferably a cloth stored in a zip lock bag, and not like a cloth shoved in your jeans pocket!

If precious metal and not water resistant, first use an air blower and gently try to blow any micro particles off the watch. Then use a natural brush to apply some crystal guard, and then wipe it off with a clean long like micro fibre cloth.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I use my cleaning cloth for my eye glasses if it’s handy, or a clean tee shirt
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote