The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
eric23
"TRF" Member

Good First Panerai?

Good Day All,

What is the best PAM to start with?

I was looking at a PAM112 yesterday and like the simple style. I don’t like the manual movement that much, but the resale value is high on the model (in case I don’t like it after a few months).

I really like the PAM351 but I am not sure if I want to spend almost twice and the resale is not as good as the PAM112.

What was your first Panerai?

Did you sell it after a while and pick up a different model?

If you got one of the manual movement models did you swap it for an automatic movement?

Thanks,

Eric
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

don't worry, eric....once you go panerai, you don't get out, so....

more seriously, i look at it as getting the watch you really want and just hoping it works out. if one thinks one might back out in a couple of months, one kind of sets oneself up for it....

that being said, the 000/005/111/112 models are easy to flip, and, if you buy used, you won't lose any money. same with the 312, but, i prefer the luminor case to the 1950s. also, you could always luck out and get a 390 (but, at this point, the lists are pretty long).

i have one PAM, a 164, and, while i knew it was by no means a "popular" model, it's the one i liked best, so, i went for it. couldn't be happier.

but, i could use a RAD....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:11 AM   #3
bicismith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 249 & SD
i bought and sold a 104 after owning it for about a month. i found it top heavy and i was constantly knocking it or worrying about hitting it against things. i also do not like the cyclops as it doesnt work very well, imo.

the luminor case and dial are simply stunning though. the lume is great too.

i dont own a rolex, but may purcahse one now instead of a panerai.

like already mentioned, the simple luminors are probably your best bet.

im going crazy deciding between the explorer2, gmt, and pam 111, 112 and 183,210...
bicismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:16 AM   #4
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Check out and try out both Luminor and Radiomir. Straps are easier to change on the Luminor, Radiomir are easier to wind, and fit better under dress shirt.
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:18 AM   #5
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicismith View Post
i bought and sold a 104 after owning it for about a month. i found it top heavy and i was constantly knocking it or worrying about hitting it against things. i also do not like the cyclops as it doesnt work very well, imo.

the luminor case and dial are simply stunning though. the lume is great too.

i dont own a rolex, but may purcahse one now instead of a panerai.

like already mentioned, the simple luminors are probably your best bet.

im going crazy deciding between the explorer2, gmt, and pam 111, 112 and 183,210...
I am in the same boat, But I already have 2 rolexes (Milgauss & SD) but I could use a GMT-IIC (I don't have one of those or any watch with a 24 hour hand).

I like the simple dial of the 112, I am also looking at the 177 & 351
Old 20 October 2011, 12:20 AM   #6
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtooth73 View Post
Check out and try out both Luminor and Radiomir. Straps are easier to change on the Luminor, Radiomir are easier to wind, and fit better under dress shirt.
I do really like the Radiomir but the style of the Luminor is with I would get first.
Old 20 October 2011, 12:54 AM   #7
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

well, if this will add to your confusion..

I started in Panerai when they released the first affordable auto in-house! Coming from Rolex, I wanted a date, auto, and in-house.
You guess it: 312 in Oct 2009.

Since then, I have gone deeper into Panerais and the 312 is gone and all my PAMs are handwound (8 days or the basic ETA).

Your mileage will vary...

But like what others have said, the base models in the 2ndary markets will allow you to experiment with the brand without worrying about resale...
Old 20 October 2011, 01:14 AM   #8
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
well, if this will add to your confusion..

I started in Panerai when they released the first affordable auto in-house! Coming from Rolex, I wanted a date, auto, and in-house.
You guess it: 312 in Oct 2009.

Since then, I have gone deeper into Panerais and the 312 is gone and all my PAMs are handwound (8 days or the basic ETA).

Your mileage will vary...

But like what others have said, the base models in the 2ndary markets will allow you to experiment with the brand without worrying about resale...
Why do you like the handwound models more?
Old 20 October 2011, 01:18 AM   #9
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

My first was a 48. Sold it in no time for a 44mm piece. Lesson learned, albeit an expensive one. Then I got a 190....oooh la la! Sold that one (never should have) thinking I'd own only one PAM for the newly released 312. Had it for a while and even added a 243. Those are both gone and going for the 372, with the next likely being a RAD. Waiting to see what SIHH brings us. Hoping to get a nice historic RAD or 44mm SUB with no date feature. 243 no date would be AWESOME!
Old 20 October 2011, 01:29 AM   #10
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
My first was a 48. Sold it in no time for a 44mm piece. Lesson learned, albeit an expensive one. Then I got a 190....oooh la la! Sold that one (never should have) thinking I'd own only one PAM for the newly released 312. Had it for a while and even added a 243. Those are both gone and going for the 372, with the next likely being a RAD. Waiting to see what SIHH brings us. Hoping to get a nice historic RAD or 44mm SUB with no date feature. 243 no date would be AWESOME!
That sounds like a crazy road you went down.

Maybe I should stick with Rolex I only flipped 2 watches in over 4 years.

I do like the Pam Subs too (24&25).
Old 20 October 2011, 01:36 AM   #11

make sure you try on different models before buying. the titanium models(351, 176 and 177) are significantly lighter than the steel models(312, 112, 111). some people love the lighter and more comfortable wear of the titanium, some prefer the heavier steel presence. another consideration is if you want/need a date function, if so than your choice would have to be a 351. in regards to manual/automatic, i was once of the opinion that i would never own a manual because i liked the convenience of an automatic watch. ive since changed my opinion because it only takes about 20 seconds every other day to wind my Pam. you dont need to unscrew anything, just lift up the crownguard lever and wind.
632627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 01:48 AM   #12
bicismith
"TRF" Member

anyone weighed their 176/7 compared to the 111/2?

my 104 was a beast... i tried on a 183 recently and it was quite a bit lighter, thinner as well.
Old 20 October 2011, 02:04 AM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
My first was a Pam 0. The Panerai just looks so much different than any other watch out there and I simply luv it. It fits just right in my rotation.

If you want one, I say go for it. Take your time and look around. The biggest problem for me selecting one is that most ADs don't have a big selection so it took me a bit longer to narrow down exactly what one worked best for me.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 02:07 AM   #14
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
Why do you like the handwound models more?
I think I just started to gravitate more to the roots of the brand which is handwound..and I actually love it now...

you make such a personal connection to the pieces...

good luck in your hunt...
Old 20 October 2011, 02:24 AM   #15
timepieceaddict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, Pam 312
Can't go wrong with all the base models if getting into Panerai. If you don't like hand wound, then 312, 351, 359 or 88 are the most popular automatics.
timepieceaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 02:29 AM   #16
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
My Pam decision was dictated by a preference I have against the "standard" Pam case size of 44mm. I tried several of those watches on, and they just felt too big for me. So, for my first Pam I definitely went against the grain and bought a down-sized Pam 244. I'm very happy with it, personally. I have since tried on a Pam 44mm in Titanium that I felt was comfortable enough, but with that watch the dial was a mess and it had a poorly-designed setup.

So I suggest you try several styles out before settling.

As for manual vs. automatic, I wouldn't own a manual wind unless it was a very simple movement, and then still would probably only want one in a vintage watch.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 03:37 AM   #17
garGARgar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
It can be somewhat daunting to choose with all their models. The best you could do is to take a look at the catalog and/or visit a dealer/boutique to try on a few model. Get the one that you like the best.

I just got a 112 (used) last week and am very happy with it. I'm a fan of their historic/base models. The 249 would probably be my dream PAM if it weren't for the price tag.
Old 20 October 2011, 03:49 AM   #18
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
IMO - the base models sunch as 000/005/111/112 (Luminor) and 183/210/380 (Radiomir) would make a great first Panerai.

my first Panerai was a 000 - i liked it because of its DNA and a simple logo dial. my second Panerai was a 210... same reason, except for the logo on the dial.

IMO - the 104 has a busy looking dial and i dont think the cyclops looks right on a Panerai.

if you want a 1950 case, then the 312 would be my first choice.

good luck with the hunt
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 04:01 AM   #19
dukerules
"TRF" Member

The 312 was my first. It too is gone, but in truth I would love to have it back. I'm a huge fan of the 1950 case, which explains a lot of my love for the 312. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a 000, 112, 005, 111, 176, or 177.

Instagram: dukerules
dukerules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 04:03 AM   #20
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
My first was a Pam 0. The Panerai just looks so much different than any other watch out there and I simply luv it. It fits just right in my rotation.

If you want one, I say go for it. Take your time and look around. The biggest problem for me selecting one is that most ADs don't have a big selection so it took me a bit longer to narrow down exactly what one worked best for me.
Yes my AD only have a 112 in right now, no 000, 005. I like the sandwich dial so the 112 might be the way to go.
Old 20 October 2011, 04:05 AM   #21
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garGARgar View Post
It can be somewhat daunting to choose with all their models. The best you could do is to take a look at the catalog and/or visit a dealer/boutique to try on a few model. Get the one that you like the best.

I just got a 112 (used) last week and am very happy with it. I'm a fan of their historic/base models. The 249 would probably be my dream PAM if it weren't for the price tag.
The 249 would be nice, I have not ever seen one of those at my AD before.
Old 20 October 2011, 04:07 AM   #22
eric23
"TRF" Member

Does the 176 have a sandwich dail? I can not find it on there site anymore and MY AD has not got one.
Old 20 October 2011, 04:14 AM   #23
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Does the 176 have a sandwich dail? I can not find it on there site anymore and MY AD has not got one.
According to this, it has a black sandwich dial.

http://www.paneraisource.com/watch_d...istoric_6.html
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 04:40 AM   #24
RotaryRx7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Glasshute SeaQ
My first Pam is a 111 and I love it!
RotaryRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 10:23 PM   #25

176/177 both have sandwich dials if they are H models or newer. You can find a 176G with a painted dial.
632627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 11:47 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Yes my AD only have a 112 in right now, no 000, 005. I like the sandwich dial so the 112 might be the way to go.
If at all possible try a couple other Ads in your region. I would call before traveling though.

If you only have to travel a couple of hours it might be worth it. I personally wouldn't want to buy a watch without seeing it in person first.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2011, 12:05 AM   #27
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
If at all possible try a couple other Ads in your region. I would call before traveling though.

If you only have to travel a couple of hours it might be worth it. I personally wouldn't want to buy a watch without seeing it in person first.
There is no others around, 14 hour drive min.
Old 21 October 2011, 12:08 AM   #28
bicismith
"TRF" Member

found a 176 today locally and the guy also has a 183 for sale. the ti is very interesting as it hopefully solves my complaint about the weight of the 104!

now if i could only decide between the pam and the rolex exp 2(older model)
Old 21 October 2011, 12:14 AM   #29
eric23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicismith View Post
found a 176 today locally and the guy also has a 183 for sale. the ti is very interesting as it hopefully solves my complaint about the weight of the 104!

now if i could only decide between the pam and the rolex exp 2(older model)
If I was you I would get a Rolex, if you don't have one. They are the best watch for the price but that is just me.

I want a Panerai because I have 2 Rolex's already and want something different.
Old 21 October 2011, 12:23 AM   #30
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

000, 005, 111, and 112 are probably your best bet. I got a 005 couple of months ago. Last week, I purchased a 112. This Panerai stuff is just as serious as Rolex addictions.

Good luck.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote