The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 September 2023, 11:13 AM   #1
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Help deciding between IWC Mark XX v. Tudor Pelagos (Yes, I know)

Hello All -

For my next watch, I will either go with an IWC Mark XX or the Tudor Pelagos LHD. Both appeal to me for far different reasons.

The IWC Mark XX appeals to be because of its classic looks, legibility, strap exchange system, long power reserve and the go anywhere, do anything vibe. Also, I have never owned an IWC. I tried the IWC on and really liked it.

The Tudor Pelagos LHD appeals to me because I love its toughness, the left sided crown, the black dial and red text and because I sold my last Pelagos, regret it and have wanted to add one back to my collection for a while. I own a Scurfa MS23, which is a titanium 500m WR quartz dive watch that does the same things the Pelagos does, albeit at a much lower price point with a far different quality level.

My collection is dive watch heavy (because I love their aesthetics) and includes the Submariner, the Explorer, a Fifty Fathoms, an Omega Seamaster, the Black Bay 58 Navy, a Grand Seiko SBGN027 and a Monta Skyquest GMT.

Given all of the above, do any of you have recommendations for which I should choose, or positive/negative impressions of the Mark XX or the Pelagos?

Thanks in advance.
Spartyfan6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 11:25 AM   #2
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
You really like the IWC + your current collection is dive watch heavy = The Mk XX makes more sense
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 02:42 PM   #3
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Given your current stash, the IWC is the way to go. While I don’t have that reference I do own two IWCs and very much enjoy them. Very nice watches., you won’t be disappointed
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 04:48 PM   #4
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
The IWC is much more versatile and well-proportioned. The Tudor is beautiful but large and only suitable for sport/casual settings. Between these two I'd take the IWC.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 07:17 PM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

The Mark XX will add a lot more to your collection and even more so if your Explorer is an Explorer II (whereas the Explorer I shares the do anything go anywhere vibe and clean aesthetics with the Mark series).

That said, in my book the Mark XV remains the prettiest Mark watch. All the polished surfaces they introduced on the bracelet etc to position the Mark XX up market go against the tool watch vibe. Hence, if you don't have to buy new, I'd rather get a Mark XV on the fabulous pyramid bracelet.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 09:35 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Pelagos hands down. I like IWC and have owned several watches across the brand but have always moved on. The LHD is a super cool watch for the many features and wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 10:40 PM   #7
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice, all. I really like the Pelagos, but the collection is crying out for an IWC. If it doesn't stick with me, I can always swap it for the Pelagos in the future.
Old 30 September 2023, 02:27 AM   #8
Argo98
"TRF" Member

Iwc >>>>> Tudor
Mark xx >>>>> pélagos

No brainer for me!
Argo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2023, 07:06 PM   #9
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

IWC all the way
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 01:54 AM   #10
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the additional responses. I've decided to get the IWC. If for some reason It doesn't click with me, I can sell it and have enough to get the Pelagos from the secondary market.
Old 4 October 2023, 01:59 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

What color , strap or brac. Great pick
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 03:43 PM   #12
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

IWC obviously.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 05:10 PM   #13
Andad

Watch: A few.
Pix?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2023, 07:49 PM   #14
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
IWC for me
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 10:18 PM   #15
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What color , strap or brac. Great pick
Haven't gotten it yet, but I've taken a slight detour to the Mark XVIII on bracelet. The lug to lug is 50mm, but the black date window sits better with me.
Old 6 October 2023, 12:03 AM   #16
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyfan6262 View Post
Hello All -

For my next watch, I will either go with an IWC Mark XX or the Tudor Pelagos LHD. Both appeal to me for far different reasons.

The IWC Mark XX appeals to be because of its classic looks, legibility, strap exchange system, long power reserve and the go anywhere, do anything vibe. Also, I have never owned an IWC. I tried the IWC on and really liked it.

The Tudor Pelagos LHD appeals to me because I love its toughness, the left sided crown, the black dial and red text and because I sold my last Pelagos, regret it and have wanted to add one back to my collection for a while. I own a Scurfa MS23, which is a titanium 500m WR quartz dive watch that does the same things the Pelagos does, albeit at a much lower price point with a far different quality level.

My collection is dive watch heavy (because I love their aesthetics) and includes the Submariner, the Explorer, a Fifty Fathoms, an Omega Seamaster, the Black Bay 58 Navy, a Grand Seiko SBGN027 and a Monta Skyquest GMT.

Given all of the above, do any of you have recommendations for which I should choose, or positive/negative impressions of the Mark XX or the Pelagos?

Thanks in advance.
IWC will complement really well within your collection

trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 02:49 AM   #17
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Eye Dubya See.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 03:02 AM   #18
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartyfan6262 View Post
Haven't gotten it yet, but I've taken a slight detour to the Mark XVIII on bracelet. The lug to lug is 50mm, but the black date window sits better with me.
The 18 is a solid reference. Boring, but in a good way. Similar to how I feel about my BB58. The kind of watch you can wear and just not think about. Good choice.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 06:18 PM   #19
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Another vote for the IWC. But have you considered the spitfire automatic? Better movement and much more interesting dial (in my opinion). Dimensions are also essentially the same. I got mine a few weeks ago and I've been wearing it pretty much exclusively because it's super comfortable and easy to read.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2023, 02:57 AM   #20
Spartyfan6262
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the additional responses. I do really like the Spitfire, and it's the first IWC model that got me interested in the brand. However, for me, it's impossible to ignore the additional water resistance and power reserve of the Mark XX.

I went to the NYC boutique and tried on the Mark XX again today. The blue sunburst dial is beautiful, the stepped bezel edge is really nice, the strap exchange system is brilliant, the dimensions are perfect and the redesign of the dial with the numbers further inward is visually appealing. I view this watch as a more elegant Explorer - a do it all watch.

I do love the Pelagos, and I definitely want to add it back to my collection in the near future, but the Mark XX gives me that spark. Will post pictures when I get it.

Thanks for all of the responses and perspectives you've all offered.