The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21 August 2023, 12:46 PM   #1
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

European football (soccer) fans ????

Hey guys just wondering if the European soccer crowd took an interest in MLS since Messi went to Miami?

Thanks

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
Old 22 August 2023, 01:29 AM   #2
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
It certainly feels a bit like when David Beckham went to the LA Galaxy many years ago. Messi has been a big draw and has performed well coming from PSG to Miami, but he’s also convinced his former running mates at Barcelona to join him such as Sergio Brusquets and Jordi Alba.

I don’t think Zlatan is impressed though…

Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Lionel Messi's performance in Inter Miami:

"It is as easy as drinking water to score goals in America. If he (Messi) thinks that he is the best football player in the world then he should be scoring at least seven (7) goals in every game because he is playing against film makers and hip hop artists. He hasn't shown me any evidence that he's the best."
Old 22 August 2023, 03:19 AM   #3
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Notin UK from what I see although we don't generally follow European football unless it directly involves us, it's in the press but the American league is seen as a retirement home for old players. Messi is way above the average in that league and it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him out there

He should have retired after the WC. he's just tarnishing his legacy (like Ronaldo) for the sake of a few quid..
Old 22 August 2023, 03:44 AM   #4
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post
Notin UK from what I see although we don't generally follow European football unless it directly involves us, it's in the press but the American league is seen as a retirement home for old players. Messi is way above the average in that league and it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him out there

He should have retired after the WC. he's just tarnishing his legacy (like Ronaldo) for the sake of a few quid..
Agree that the MLS is the final stop for retiring players and the level of play is not so great. He also said he never wanted to go to PSG and referred to stay at Barcelona, as he was not happy in Paris.

That said, Messi went to Miami to set himself up for life after retirement. The financial package he was offered was an option to buy into an MLS team (Beckman had the same option when he came to the MLS), a part of the merchandise sales as well as financial consideration from Apple TV on the viewing rights. The WC is in 3 years time in North America and if he can hold on for that amount of time with Miami, he would be a great ambassador for the games.
Old 22 August 2023, 04:41 AM   #5
Rico_Brasole
Banned

European football (soccer) fans ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Agree that the MLS is the final stop for retiring players and the level of play is not so great. He also said he never wanted to go to PSG and referred to stay at Barcelona, as he was not happy in Paris.

That said, Messi went to Miami to set himself up for life after retirement. The financial package he was offered was an option to buy into an MLS team (Beckman had the same option when he came to the MLS), a part of the merchandise sales as well as financial consideration from Apple TV on the viewing rights. The WC is in 3 years time in North America and if he can hold on for that amount of time with Miami, he would be a great ambassador for the games.

I don’t understand the narrative that Messi came to the MLS because he wanted to set himself up for life after retirement. The Saudis were going to pay him 1.6 BILLION for 3 years work. Your retirement fund doesn’t get more cushy than that…

I think the answer is much simpler. He probably wanted to live in the US and play the game at a very stress free level. He’s basically retired.

It’s interesting though, I didn’t think that 1.6 BIllion would’ve been taxed by the government. Messi had some tax issues in Spain, seems like he would’ve liked to not have to worry about taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 August 2023, 06:17 AM   #6
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I haven't really... I agree with the general sentiment here. Messi is at the end of his career and he isn't going to play his best football against US teams that are (let's be honest) not nearly as good as teams in Europe's top flight leagues. He simply doesn't have to. I was kind of disappointed he ended up at Miami as I thought he has 1 or 2 more years of top tier left in him.

He has a very nice watch collection though.
Old 22 August 2023, 07:08 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Hey guys just wondering if the European soccer crowd took an interest in MLS since Messi went to Miami?

Thanks
Not where I live. Nobody will follow the Saudi league either despite Ronaldo and Neymar et al moving there. Most of these guys are way beyond their prime albeit Messi less so than others.

People follow their national league such as the English PL or German BL etc as well as the European CL.

But what do I know... I am supporting a team which won its last German Championship as recently as 1929 (despite living in Munich which won the last 11 titles in a row) and I bothered to watch the NY/NJ MetroStars in an empty Giants Stadium when living in NYC in the 1990s...
Old 22 August 2023, 08:15 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Sorry, but to me it's an end of career move at a lower level of football. I'm a big EPL fan and to me, MLS doesn't match the quality of play of the European leagues.

I live in Cincy (close enough anyway) and it's tough to watch the MLS.
Old 22 August 2023, 09:10 PM   #9
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It certainly feels a bit like when David Beckham went to the LA Galaxy many years ago. Messi has been a big draw and has performed well coming from PSG to Miami, but he’s also convinced his former running mates at Barcelona to join him such as Sergio Brusquets and Jordi Alba.

I don’t think Zlatan is impressed though…

Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Lionel Messi's performance in Inter Miami:

"It is as easy as drinking water to score goals in America. If he (Messi) thinks that he is the best football player in the world then he should be scoring at least seven (7) goals in every game because he is playing against film makers and hip hop artists. He hasn't shown me any evidence that he's the best."
The only thing getting older than Ibrahimovic is his banter. It has become so boring. Messi is certainly way above Zlatan in many aspects of the game and this comes from someone who doesn't like Messi at all.

OP: Messi's move to Inter Miami has raised my interest in MLS soccer, eventhough I'm not a big soccer guy by any means. I'm still quite sure that European soccer is way above the MLS but it's still quite entertaining.
Old 22 August 2023, 09:27 PM   #10
fmc000
Banned

Quote:

Thanks
No one here in Italy is talking about Messi in the MLS, probably because we don't care about MLS at all. For comparison, we're talking much more about the recent move of many players to the Saudi league.
Old 23 August 2023, 02:04 AM   #11
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
No one here in Italy is talking about Messi in the MLS, probably because we don't care about MLS at all. For comparison, we're talking much more about the recent move of many players to the Saudi league.
Most Americans don't care about the MLS either and relatively unwatchable. The comparison to the Saudi League is much different as MLS has a budget cap which means the best and brightest players are not going to MLS - the direct opposite of how the Saudi League has attracted players.

Speaking of Saudi Arabia, what's your thoughts on Mancini leaving the Italian national team just 20 days before their Euro Qualifier to take a job reportedly for 20m per year to head the Saudi National team?
Old 23 August 2023, 05:13 PM   #12
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Most Americans don't care about the MLS either and relatively unwatchable. The comparison to the Saudi League is much different as MLS has a budget cap which means the best and brightest players are not going to MLS - the direct opposite of how the Saudi League has attracted players.

Speaking of Saudi Arabia, what's your thoughts on Mancini leaving the Italian national team just 20 days before their Euro Qualifier to take a job reportedly for 20m per year to head the Saudi National team?
My opinion is that Mancini should have resigned immediately after having missed the World Cup qualification. I'm not sure about the Saudi connection as he technically still is under contract with the Italian Federation according to the Italian laws, therefore he cannot take any new jobs before reaching an agreement with President Gravina, who is definitely not pleased with the situation and I bet he's not willing to cooperate.
Old 23 August 2023, 05:48 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Thanks
Well European football and most all sports stopped being sports many years ago now its all about £££$$€€.Not a fan of football myself being Welsh a big fan of rugby union a true mans sport.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 23 August 2023, 06:30 PM   #14
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well European football and most all sports stopped being sports many years ago now its all about £££$$€€.Not a fan of football myself being Welsh a big fan of rugby union a true mans sport.

Come on Padi, tell us what you really think

Old 24 August 2023, 02:56 AM   #15
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

No real interest is MLS as far as I can see here in the UK. A lot of people here in Scotland have a Scottish and English team they support but I’ve never heard anyone talking about MLS.

As an aside, it is neither football nor soccer. Where I come from it is known as “fitba”
Old 24 August 2023, 04:56 AM   #16
bobby75
"TRF" Member

No, not here in the UK most of the news has been taken over by the Saudi league mostly because of the number of players who have gone over there to play. What I mean by that is general football news, the Saudi league seems to have done a strange thing in that they have put their football in the UK on a subscription channel so unless you have a real interest in that league you are really not going to pay up. I think most people in the UK are only interested in their own league (England and Wales premier league Scotland SPL) any interest in the Spanish, French or Italian leagues will be mostly down to what else is on the subscription channel the premier league is on.

If the MLS or Saudi league want to really make a dent in England then they need to put their games on Sky or BT or BBC/ITV for anyone to really take any interest.
Old 24 August 2023, 05:33 AM   #17
peshehodetz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Love soccer and great fan of Liverpool F.C.
Old 24 August 2023, 10:33 AM   #18
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
My opinion is that Mancini should have resigned immediately after having missed the World Cup qualification. I'm not sure about the Saudi connection as he technically still is under contract with the Italian Federation according to the Italian laws, therefore he cannot take any new jobs before reaching an agreement with President Gravina, who is definitely not pleased with the situation and I bet he's not willing to cooperate.
Hard to argue with that, but think Mancini had some credit left over from the Euro Cup Championship in 2021 and probably the reason why was still the manager. I did not know that he was still under contract and begs the question as to why he would leave just days before the next Euro qualifier.... So basically, he's in limbo?
Old 24 August 2023, 05:11 PM   #19
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Hard to argue with that, but think Mancini had some credit left over from the Euro Cup Championship in 2021 and probably the reason why was still the manager. I did not know that he was still under contract and begs the question as to why he would leave just days before the next Euro qualifier.... So basically, he's in limbo?
Well, today Gazzetta dello Sport (the most important sport newspaper here in Italy) is reporting that he will accept a 25-30M per year offering from Saudis to manage their National Team:

External Link to gazzetta.it

It's in Italian but of course it can be translated with google

Honestly, I cannot blame him. Nowadays he makes araoung 3.5M to manage our National Team and he's going to make at least 8-9 times more (and I suppose a king-like treatment in Arabia). I would do the same if one day they would offer to pay me 8-9 times what I make today, especially as my annual income doesn't even reach 6 digits
Old 24 August 2023, 06:38 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

Its called 'Soccer', just like Gridiron is called Gridiron and Rugby is called Rugby.

If it was football you wouldn't be allowed to use your head would you? Maybe, one should use their head for more constructive activities than just smashing it into a football

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 24 August 2023, 09:18 PM   #21
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Its called 'Soccer'
No, it's not.
Old 25 August 2023, 02:09 AM   #22
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
There is a lot of talent in the MLS and Messi brings much needed attention to the game in the States, but I don't think it's enough to take the focus away from the big 5 in Europe.
Old 25 August 2023, 02:26 AM   #23
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:
Its called 'Soccer', just like Gridiron is called Gridiron and Rugby is called Rugby.

If it was football you wouldn't be allowed to use your head would you? Maybe, one should use their head for more constructive activities than just smashing it into a football

Why don’t you let the people who invented the game worry about what it’s called?

We don’t try and mess with American sport names, you can call your sports including NFL football all you want. We really don’t care.

But football is football, and you ain’t changing that!

One person commented earlier, “I love soccer and support Liverpool F.C. Well, if your sentiment was correct they’d in fact be called Liverpool S.C. Would they not?

Old 25 August 2023, 06:21 PM   #24
Lol-x
Facilitator

The proper name for the sport is Soccer.

Ignorance and arrogance will obviously insist otherwise.

They use their heads except when it comes to thinking.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 25 August 2023, 06:46 PM   #25
Ollie1982
Banned

Quote:

You're certainly correct about ignorance

Dont they run with the ball in their hands in NFL? Using your logic maybe it should be called handball?

The ball is kicked far more in football than in NFL.
Old 25 August 2023, 08:07 PM   #26
fmc000
Banned

Quote:

Are you serious??? If you weren't who you are I would call you a troll because of this message.

Anyways , learn: https://www.britannica.com/story/why...ootball-soccer
Old 26 August 2023, 10:29 AM   #27
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
If LeBron would go to the European basketball league next year, would anyone care to watch him take advantage of all the guys who can’t make it to the nba?

Old 26 August 2023, 11:26 AM   #28
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The official name is Association Football
Old 26 August 2023, 12:25 PM   #29
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris242 View Post
If LeBron would go to the European basketball league next year, would anyone care to watch him take advantage of all the guys who can’t make it to the nba?

Fortunately for LeBron, he's got the European football flop down. He would fit right in.
Old 26 August 2023, 01:03 PM   #30
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
Fortunately for LeBron, he's got the European football flop down. He would fit right in.

This is very true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread