The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2023, 10:45 PM   #1
vliberman
"TRF" Member

timekeeping....

I own recent model Offshore(42mm version). I am particular about the accuracy of watches and often measure timekeeping performance. Have noticed 15 sec per day slower deviation lately. If i compare that to my other sports watches, like Roles Sky/GMT/Sub, these are within 2 sec per day (actually, better than that). Do people generally find AP accurate? is my experience an aberration?

I stopped by the boutique a few days ago and was told my watch is magnetized. Is this still an issue in 2023? Again, hate to use Rolex as an example but there is never an issue with them (and they don't use silicon hairspring on recent models). By the way, demagnetization didn't really solve the issue as watch promptly resumed to it slower pace ex-post.

Do people generally care about accuracy? Anecdotally, every friend of mine who owns AP complains about timekeeping but they don't generally measure it systematically, so I discount that.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 11:09 PM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i personally don't pay attention to accuracy but i also end up setting it once a week so within that week i don't really notice any deviations worth worrying about

just checked and mine is 10 seconds behind after being set on sunday or monday (don't remember when)
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2023, 11:49 PM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

I have quite a few watches so I don't wear any one long enough to notice any deviation. If I was a 1 or 2 watch kind of guy my watches would probably spend more time wound up and I could start to notice the drift.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 01:03 AM   #4
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
15 seconds per day is not good enough and is surprising if the watch is relatively new as I’ve only ever had a timekeeping issue with 1 AP out of 8 but I’d owned it from new and the accuracy dropped off a cliff after 5 or 6 years at which point I had it serviced and then I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 01:04 AM   #5
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
My APs run fast. I do measure accuracy. I have 2 with 4302 caliber and 1 with 4401.
Initially I was concerned but after a while I stopped paying attention.
I don't expect the same accuracy as Rolex though.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 12:23 PM   #6
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
My 15400 runs ~5-6 seconds/day fast. I typically just reset it each Sunday, at which point it's typically ~40 seconds fast - so less than a minute per week.. which works for me.
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 12:36 PM   #7
construda
"TRF" Member

Just checked my 15510 it's about 15 seconds fast after maybe a week
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 04:16 PM   #8
RRJ
"TRF" Member

If you want chronometric precision, try Greubel Forsey. They are the only ones who produce genuinely "accurate" watches. On top of that, their finishing is on a completely different level from AP.
RRJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 06:13 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That is good to know.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 06:27 PM   #10
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJ View Post
If you want chronometric precision, try Greubel Forsey. They are the only ones who produce genuinely "accurate" watches. On top of that, their finishing is on a completely different level from AP.
Ooh, interesting

What is "chronometric precision" and "genuinely accurate"?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 07:21 PM   #11
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

My AP’s all run fast and are less accurate than my DSSD. It’s a shame given what they cost, but like others have pointed out, a reset now and then isn’t hard, and even if you’re off a minute - it really shouldn’t impact your day to day that greatly.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2023, 11:09 PM   #12
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
My 15500ST had to go back within a year for warranty repair. After it was returned, accuracy is +0.5s/day which I find amazing for an AP!
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 12:07 AM   #13
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Interesting feedback here…as I get more in the weeds of WIS community I generally get more confused… most want quality and craftsmanship yet don’t generally care about timekeeping… isn’t accuracy of mechanical watch ultimate pinnacle of craftsmanship? I hear about finishing and architecture of movements as being paramount . Yet if u think about reasons behind most finishing techniques, they came from the desire to either improve accuracy or longevity of movements.

Perhaps one day I will understand why certain brands are perceived as superior. I really like the design language of APs. In my case, I prefer Gueit to Genta but generally find aesthetics of the brand to be superior to alternative in the category. However, not sure if I can tolerate lack of craftsmanship….
Old 21 April 2023, 12:12 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Interesting feedback here…as I get more in the weeds of WIS community I generally get more confused… most want quality and craftsmanship yet don’t generally care about timekeeping… isn’t accuracy of mechanical watch ultimate pinnacle of craftsmanship? I hear about finishing and architecture of movements as being paramount . Yet if u think about reasons behind most finishing techniques, they came from the desire to either improve accuracy or longevity of movements.

Perhaps one day I will understand why certain brands are perceived as superior. I really like the design language of APs. In my case, I prefer Gueit to Genta but generally find aesthetics of the brand to be superior to alternative in the category. However, not sure if I can tolerate lack of craftsmanship….
Well that's the inherent paradox right? If we gauged purely off accuracy we would have all just bought quartz.

To OP, AP is definitely not what you want to wear to track time in an apocalypse when the other clocks turn off. Time keeping can be a bit rough compared to Rolex. As other posters pointed out, when they wear in rotation and reset the watch they just don't notice. But if you daily it, Rolex/Omega et al will keep time much better. They just don't look as pretty doing it.

Kind of reminds me of an Aston Martin. So pretty, but when it's in service for the nth time, sometimes you wished you settled for a Toyota.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 01:40 AM   #15
Xerxes77
Banned

My ROC with 4302 movement work +1 sec per day
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 02:46 AM   #16
DonLee
"TRF" Member

depends on how much power reserve there is. When it is constantly topped up, my RO runs about 3s per day fast. If I don't wear it for a couple days, it could fall to -4s per day. But again, in that state it would only last another day before it stopped.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 11:23 AM   #17
tchu6
"TRF" Member

I was wondering the same, I have a 15500st with 4302 movement and its already running 2 mins behind just a few days in... I usually see people saying they run fast.. I'm worried.
tchu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 11:25 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i personally don't pay attention to accuracy but i also end up setting it once a week so within that week i don't really notice any deviations worth worrying about

just checked and mine is 10 seconds behind after being set on sunday or monday (don't remember when)
Exact same.

I also rotate my watches every couple of days which just compounds the “problem”
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 08:22 PM   #19
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I have Rolex, AP, PP, ALS and others, Rolex is the cheapest but the most accurate.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 09:13 PM   #20
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Ooh, interesting

What is "chronometric precision" and "genuinely accurate"?
They won the International Chronometry Competition in 2011 and have held the record for most points scored since then. That is "chronometric precision" and "genuinely accurate" :-)
Old 21 April 2023, 09:25 PM   #21
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
My limited experience is that as an AP comes from the factory, it often is running “precisely”, but with only fair accuracy. That is, the readings, if taken under similar circumstances, usually don’t vary by more than a couple seconds per day, but may be significantly off in terms of “accurate” time keeping (for example between 6 and 8 spd fast). Adjustment by a qualified watchmaker can usually produce a highly accurate instrument (say +/- 3spd) if one wishes.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 10:30 PM   #22
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They won the International Chronometry Competition in 2011 and have held the record for most points scored since then. That is "chronometric precision" and "genuinely accurate" :-)
You are a true connoisseur …

saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2023, 10:44 PM   #23
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
You are a true connoisseur …

Hey, you asked🤷🏻*♂️. English isn‘t my first language and I just realized my initial post came off a bit snarky. But GF truly is the best when it comes to accuracy imo (if we‘re not talking Quartz watches that is). There might be others who make extremely accurate watches, but they didn‘t bother submitting their watches.

If you don‘t agree, what‘s your take?
Old 21 April 2023, 11:13 PM   #24
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Exact same.

I also rotate my watches every couple of days which just compounds the “problem”
that's what i've been saying. my ap runs significantly slower when it's lower in power reserve, but fast when it's topped up full
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2023, 08:04 AM   #25
jazy001
"TRF" Member

I have the current Offshore diver with 4308 movement. I’ve been very impressed to be fair seeing as I had heard that accuracy of AP wasn't the best. Mine seems to keep around +1sec/day but i’ve barely taken it off last two weeks and its only running +4seconds.. I think its the most accurate watch i own… It is still pretty new though so long may it continue.
jazy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2023, 12:47 PM   #26
tchu6
"TRF" Member

my 15500st with 4302 movement is now 3 minutes behind in about a week, been wearing every single day..
tchu6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 02:54 AM   #27
leisen
"TRF" Member

My 2 AP (one RO and one ROO) are the least accurate watches in my collection, even after both being serviced by AP.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 03:55 PM   #28
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I have Rolex, AP, PP, ALS and others, Rolex is the cheapest but the most accurate.
My 4-year-old Lange Up/Down does an average of +1s/day. However, I must admit that half a year after purchasing it, it went to the service center for adjustment because it was in a hurry by 8 seconds a day. It has held up to the standards of my Rolexes ever since.
Old 28 May 2024, 04:57 PM   #29
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Good to know about the Lange. Always wanted to add to the stable.

By the way of an update, my AP went to service where I was told the caliber would be swapped. I am totally cool with such solution and hope it would resolve the issue.

Since we are sharing accuracy of various watches/ brands, I just picked up Urwerk which shows excellent timekeeping. Super happy so far.
Old 28 May 2024, 10:21 PM   #30
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Absolutely top of the tree by any measure. Truly aspirational watches.