The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 May 2024, 07:10 PM   #1
Random61
"TRF" Member

Question about my new 16014

Hi all,

So I have gained interest in watches over the year and finally decided to buy my first watch. I bought a 16014 from chrono24 its arriving tommorow but while waiting for delivery I stumbled upon something that spooks through my mind.

The dial is a "swiss" only dial which is pretty uncommon for the 16014 since most of them contain tritium and have a T Swiss T notation. From the pictures I can see that the watch has no glowing parts so it should indeed not have the "T" notation on the 6 o clock but I have searched the internet about 16014 swiss only dial but cant find any that matches mines.

I read something about that the swiss only dials were made in 1998&1999 but the watch is from 1984 so which means it got replaced later? or did I buy a re-dial?? or is this simply a original rare 16014 dial?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4277513821.jpeg (142.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpeg 4277513816.jpeg (126.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpeg 4277501882.jpeg (147.7 KB, 80 views)
Random61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:34 PM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Hi It's a post 2000 service dial and handset.
Fyo, Datejusts are one of the least affected models, by value, of a service dial and hands if fitted, but it should have been mentioned by seller and reflected in the price of say 10-15% or so, at least....

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA - Carl Carlton
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:37 PM   #3
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake

Welcome to the forum first off. I wouldn’t panic, you should have the ability to return it if you don’t like it. Moving forward, drop a link to the watch prior to buying, no one here will buy it from under you.

That said, you would need go give the first 3 or so of the serial # so we can determine the age of the watch.

You could buy the right dial and have it put in really easily. I edited my comment since turo replied. If you got a good deal on it maybe it’s worth keeping? It’s up to you.
tekno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:46 PM   #4
Random61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Hi It's a post 2000 service dial and handset.
Fyo, Datejusts are one of the least affected models, by value, of a service dial and hands if fitted, but it should have been mentioned by seller and reflected in the price of say 10-15% or so, at least....
Thanks for the information, so the dial is replaced around 1999. I paid 4300EUR with box no papers including insured shipping worth 100eur, would you think it worth the price?
Old 23 May 2024, 09:54 PM   #5
Random61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Welcome to the forum first off. I wouldn’t panic, you should have the ability to return it if you don’t like it. Moving forward, drop a link to the watch prior to buying, no one here will buy it from under you.

That said, you would need go give the first 3 or so of the serial # so we can determine the age of the watch.

You could buy the right dial and have it put in really easily. I edited my comment since turo replied. If you got a good deal on it maybe it’s worth keeping? It’s up to you.
The watch arrives tommorow so I could check the serial friday and let you know, visually I really like the dial even more then the ones with tritium. I was purely wondering from an investment persective if the dial will hold it's value but Turo said it does so I will probably keep it.
Old 23 May 2024, 09:58 PM   #6
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake

For that price I would expect a factory perfect watch, that’s $4600 US. Turo can probably help with this too, the crystal looks off - it may be a aftermarket replacement crystal. The magnification looks off to me.

Learn from this & show the watch prior to pulling the trigger. If you link the ad, the guys will usually tell you not only if it’s correct but let you know if it’s too expensive etc.

I see now you said it’s an 84…
tekno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 10:04 PM   #7
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random61 View Post
Thanks for the information, so the dial is replaced around 1999. I paid 4300EUR with box no papers including insured shipping worth 100eur, would you think it worth the price?
All about whether you like it and feel the dealer was fair.

£4000/€4300 is toward higher end money for a loose original black batten marker Datejust btw.

Btw ref investment, most (except some rare/exotic dial) Datejusts are not investment kings, they just bob along keeping up with inflation - tbh they are only worsened by some (eg diamond dials) Day Dates, that have lost money (inflation adjusted) since 1984.

Nb T SWISS T (and some T SWISS MADE T also) were used on Datejust dials 1964-98, that both had and didn't have tritium markers and hands.

SWISS footer dials are only circa 1952-1963 and then again in 99/00 and a large stock of early 2000s service dials.

Recent service Datejust dials I have seen have been both SWISS from that 20yr old stock, and also the more recently manufactured SWISS MADE service dials I have seen too.

Old 23 May 2024, 10:07 PM   #8
Random61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
For that price I would expect a factory perfect watch, that’s $4600 US. Turo can probably help with this too, the crystal looks off - it may be a aftermarket replacement crystal. The magnification looks off to me.

Learn from this & show the watch prior to pulling the trigger. If you link the ad, the guys will usually tell you not only if it’s correct but let you know if it’s too expensive etc.

I see now you said it’s an 84…
Well the price for these DJs quite increased over the course of 5 years, I have been watching the market on chrono24, montro, and local sources for 6 months but can't find any proper vintage DJ under 4500EUR most of them even without box so I thought it's a good deal.
Old 23 May 2024, 10:35 PM   #9
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Can you post a better picture of the dial when you receive?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 10:36 PM   #10
Random61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
All about whether you like it and feel the dealer was fair.

£4000/€4300 is toward higher end money for a loose original black batten marker Datejust btw.

Btw ref investment, most (except some rare/exotic dial) Datejusts are not investment kings, they just bob along keeping up with inflation - tbh they are only worsened by some (eg diamond dials) Day Dates, that have lost money (inflation adjusted) since 1984.
I have been watching the market on chrono24, montro and local sources for the last half year but can't find any decent vintage DJ under 4500eur most even without box within the EU, the ones under 4500 are heavy overpolished or have dusty/filthy tritium hands.

I think it's fair, i'll keep it.
Old 23 May 2024, 10:37 PM   #11
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Can you post a better picture of the dial when you receive?
Yes, good shout.. .was just going to suggest that too

Old 24 May 2024, 02:20 AM   #12
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
You overpaid. But it’s still a nice watch. I wouldn’t have paid more than 3500€ for it, personally.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 03:19 AM   #13
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
If the dial and hands are not lumed, would the dial still have the t's on it?
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 03:24 AM   #14
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk552502 View Post
If the dial and hands are not lumed, would the dial still have the t's on it?
Yes, they would.

Old 24 May 2024, 11:30 PM   #15
Random61
"TRF" Member

Watch has arrived, attached some more pictures. I'm suprised that the bracelet looks as good as brand new with minimal wear, overall condition is very good imo. Little bit tight on my wrist but not a major problem, I asked the seller if he could send me an extra link. dial is not 100% black and has a tint of grey in it which I really like also, serial number starts with 8337 indicating the watch is from 83. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image2.jpg (104.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image3.jpg (121.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg (92.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image5.jpg (125.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg (100.0 KB, 22 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #16
studioal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random61 View Post
I have been watching the market on chrono24, montro and local sources for the last half year but can't find any decent vintage DJ under 4500eur most even without box within the EU, the ones under 4500 are heavy overpolished or have dusty/filthy tritium hands.

I think it's fair, i'll keep it.
As long as you like it that's all that matters, however, listings on Chrono24 are overpriced across the board so I don't use ever it as a benchmark for determining realized prices. They are just list prices, not sold prices. Huge difference.

If you use WatchCharts.com you'll see that the average price for a 4 or 5 digit Datejust is around the $4000 US mark. Obviously there are variants that command more money, but in general, I have seen many nice examples that are in the $3500-4200 range from both private sellers and dealers.

I think you just need to do more research and expand the parameters for how you're searching and benchmarking the market in the future.
studioal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Nice looking watch

Dial is likely greyed because it is, indeed, an older dial.

Rolex made a number of non-lume dials over the years, most notably the CERN era with non-lume Milgauss dials and others.

I wouldn't say that it is a 98/99 replacement dial because if it was it would likely have Luminova dots.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #18
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

That dial is a bit odd. It looks like an older dial but isn’t pie-pan, the writing is a bit odd as is the cyclops. Case and bracelet look good.
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #19
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Many thanks. Can you do a close-up/macro shot of the text at top pls.... i.e. ROLEX etc...

Old Today, 12:06 AM   #20
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
For a common watch and easy to get perfect and full set with booklets, box papers, you overpaid and now you have questions. I’d Return. You should do better imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #21
Random61
"TRF" Member

Just to mention I got the watch from a store not a private seller. And it’s serviced before it got shipped to me so imo it’s normal that the price is a bit higher.