The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old Today, 05:34 AM   #1
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Hodinkee WSJ Article

https://www.wsj.com/style/fashion/ho...hare_permalink
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 AM   #2
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Good transcript
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:25 AM   #3
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

Hodinkee article in Wall Street Journal

For subscribers, behind paywall. Maybe why Jack Forester left?

https://www.wsj.com/style/fashion/ho...le_email_share
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #4
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Constant layoffs. Sad. The market turned after the acquisition of C&C. No one could have seen it coming. I sure didn't.

Maybe they should stick to high-quality editorial content, straps and vintage pieces. (With some Hodinkee limited editions sprinkled here and there.) It's hard to buy vintage watches online because you fear the watch is mis-represented. Hodinkee should leverage the fact they're trusted.
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #5
dhucke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
Seems like a combination of really bad business practices and a misunderstanding of what drew people in the first place. It became more about fashion than watches (IMHO).
dhucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The main reason why Hodinkee is down the drain is because they have completely lost journalistic integrity and objectivity. Plain and simple. When one is sleeping on the same bed as the companies who you are supposed to objectively review, how can they actually write anything honest about the product? Not only that, Hodinkee have failed to raise any concerns about dubious and suspicious auction lots and results. When Perezcope brought up the topic of the record breaking Speedmaster being a Frankenstein, Hodinkee was so f**king reluctant to release any articles about it. For a supposedly leading watch media, it’s so disgraceful!

Don’t worry BC, you will get another LM Daytona to keep your mouth shut and enjoy the gravy train! As long as you are on the gravy train, others can lose their money buying frankensteins as long they don’t “rock the Swiss Watch Industry”.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #7
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
The main reason why Hodinkee is down the drain is because they have completely lost journalistic integrity and objectivity. Plain and simple. When one is sleeping on the same bed as the companies who you are supposed to objectively review, how can they actually write anything honest about the product? .
I don't think pageviews is the issue. I bet they have more readers than ever before. But there's only so much free content you can provide. Bills need to get paid.
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #8
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Their schtick has just felt old for some time. This coming from someone who was a very avid reader. I just don’t go to the site, anymore. The most Hodinkee I get is when the Magazine shows up at my door once every 6 months.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:28 AM   #9
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

When Cara Barrett and Jack Forester left that was a signal. They were the best.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #10
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I thought it was fine when Hodinkee started selling straps and the occasional collab or watch.

When I was at the 10th anniversary party event in 2018, everyone there was very much an enthusiast and the culture was heavily based on understanding watches. (Something we know Ben himself is deeply into.) I loved talking to the team and the readers.

But the site seemed to take a sharp turn within a year or so. I wonder how much of this was driven by the ownership shifting from people like Kevin Rose, who is a watch enthusiast, to LVMH and the like. Hodinkee is now a store with a residual online magazine attached, and seems self-righteous about its current stance, defensive would be a better term I suppose, epitomized by the article "reminding" the readers of the commenting rules (implying that the jaded attitude of longtime readers was somehow wrong).

A Hodinkee review of a new watch release in the old days was not only a discussion of how the watch wore for a week, but a reflection on the history of the maker and type of watch. Those articles are still gems to this day. Now the articles feel like straight advertorials. There are still good ones, but few and far between.

If this becomes a moment for Hodinkee to step back from its overreach and be under Ben's direct control again, it could be amazing. But that's a big if.
Scholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #11
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Oh I accidentally missed part of my message.

I said can anyone expect today's Hodinkee to do things like how in the old days they called out watch brands for lying, such as this open letter from Roger Smith about fake in-house movements and the like?

Hodinkee of 2014 would have written about the 32-series controversy (note, I'm simply saying "written about" before fans of the movement accuse me of anything); Hodinkee today, like most advertorial places, wouldn't want to lose access to Rolex by doing such a thing.
Scholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

this could be.... interesting.

i heard that auction houses pulled paintings and whatnot from recent events, fearing that sale prices would be below what they felt was market. Guess no one likes fire sale pricing in art.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #13
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

They tried to open a big umbrella in a phone booth. Too many things going on in a small space (watch collecting..who does that?) to begin with. Never works out
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #14
illiguy

How they purchased Crown and Caliber without diligence on back end systems talking is insane to me.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #15
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
this could be.... interesting.

i heard that auction houses pulled paintings and whatnot from recent events, fearing that sale prices would be below what they felt was market. Guess no one likes fire sale pricing in art.
I love fire sale pricing on art.

Unless it's my art, then not so much.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #16
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
What seems like forever ago I looked forward to any new morsel of watch knowledge from Hodinkee. But well before the pandemic it evolved into a late night informercial. I simply lost interest, and nothing they published could possibly encourage me to buy what they were shilling. It’s no surprise that Hodinkee is in decline, or that they are in denial of the decline.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

some very good comments below the nyt article.

Peter Haynes
Hardly surprising. Hodinkee was a fantastic site when it started, with Clymer writing truly insightful articles on the industry, alongside a growing and strong team of writers, all but one of whom are long gone. Then the money started pouring in, Clymer very visibly checked out and started collecting vintage Porsches and even more expensive watches, and the content collapsed. These days it's mostly (a) "articles" on what's for sale in Hodinkee's [overpriced] shop, (b) "photo pieces" of what minor celebs are wearing at a range of events, (c) press-release rewrites and (d) the very occasional insightful piece, although if anything in the article is on sale at Hodinkee, that's front and center. Net, it's now a lame ecommerce site, and from your article it's pretty clear that Clymer and Fowler are out of their depth strategically. Meanwhile a mass of other, far more thoughtful watch websites are eating Hodinkee's lunch.

Henry S (reply to above)
You very succinctly summed up exactly what happened to Hodinkee, far better than the article did (which read a bit like a hatchet job, even if deserved). Ben essentially sold out, and Hodinkee paid the price
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old Today, 10:04 AM   #18
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Perhaps no greater symbol of their transition to an ecommerce site than their $6K travel clock
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i'd now LOVE to buy one Travel Clock with mystery movement as a kind of... Trophy... of the recent bubble. C'mon, we all knew it was a massive bubble. Some got high on their own supply and are now feeling the hangover effects,

Old Today, 11:18 AM   #20
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I never got overt into their coverage of the watch world, but my take on it is this.

There is a saying with many variants of it “Don’t believe your own myth/legend/hype/press.

Hodinkee believe their own from what I can see.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #21
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
When Cara Barrett and Jack Forester left that was a signal. They were the best.
to be fair, Cara married Ben Clymer. seems like she's still pretty invested in the business lol
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #22
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
i'd now LOVE to buy one Travel Clock with mystery movement as a kind of... Trophy... of the recent bubble. C'mon, we all knew it was a massive bubble. Some got high on their own supply and are now feeling the hangover effects,
I think it's still available for sale from Hodinkee.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote