The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 July 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
salty_snack

Clicking sound from a Sub-C

So I've had my Sub-C for about two weeks now and have loved most every minute of it. I have noticed a clicking sound coming from the watch however and wanted to get some input.

First off... when winding the watch using the crown there are distinct clicks (15 clicks per revolution of the crown) which I am assuming is normal. (this occurs even with the mainspring unwound) My other watches make more of a buzzz.....buzzz sound where each turn of the crown corresponds to dozens of very small "clicks" but since this is my only Rolex at the moment I have nothing to compare too.

The sound in question occurs due to the automatic winding mechanism most likely. It occurs somewhere between 1 and 2 revolutions of the rotor and never in the same rotor position twice in a row. (for example... It will click with the rotor at 1 o'clock... the rotor will swing 360 degrees back to the 1 o'clock position and the clicking sound can be heard before the rotor makes it back around to the 1 o'clock position a second time, 720 degrees.

Because the clicking sound is nearly identical to the sound the watch makes while being wound by hand I don't believe the rotor is contacting the movement or case back and it is, in fact, just the winding mechanism.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience and if it is a problem or normal for the 3135.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2013, 12:46 AM   #2
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Its a normal sound. This is my 3rd Rolex and they all make that sound you describe.
My first Rolex was a 2nd hand and was already 4 years old. I thought maybe that would make the sound, but then i bought a new milgauss. It had the same sound when shaking the watch so that the watch wil wind itself.
I just checked my current Rolex, a Sub C two tone which is just a month old and it makes the same noise. I think the noise comes from the purple wheels, which is a part of the winding mechanism.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote