The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 May 2021, 05:17 AM   #1
smg8
Banned

Incoming - Ceramic

Like many, one of the first things I learnt about watches when new to the hobby is you have to hate Hublot. I didn't know why, and didn't take any time to think about it, I just knew that to be like my fellow watch enthusiasts I was allowed to like anything and everything, except for Hublot.

I even recall once walking past a Watches of Switzerland window and seeing a stunning simple blue dial watch on a leather strap and thinking "that's nice what is it", seeing it was a Hublot and then thinking "ah no I don't like it then".

Fast forward a few years, and after ownership of amongst others a Daytona, a blue dial AP Royal Oak 15300, a Patek Aquanaut, a Royal Oak Chrono, a Bluesy, a GMT Master, a Batman (twice) and to a time when the thought of "Hublot" genuinely hadn't crossed my mind for years. I'd forgotten they existed.

And the time came when I wanted a new watch, in the sub £10k bracket, with the main criteria being it MUST NOT be a Rolex (I LOVE my GMT Master, but detest the AD games and the fact it's the only luxury brand in the world where to most buyers the single most important thing is not losing money/how much you can flip if for )

I set off exploring the various options - Breitling got a look (wanted to want a Chronomat but couldn't) , GP got a look (not for me but gave it a try), the Bvlgari Octo got tried on (wow it's impressive, but a bit dressy for my style and being a tall guy the slimness of the watch didn't suit me). And I stumble across the Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph.

I have to admit I did a double take - this is a Hublot? This is from the brand I am meant to hate? REALLY!!??

Anyway I go and try a couple on, and was impressed by it on leather but something about it wasn't quite right. I go and try a couple of Big Bangs on rubber and this is more like it, really liking this watch, but worried by the size and it getting knocks, and dints etc. But something about the luxury watch on rubber, which of course Hublot pioneered and others copied, really resonated.

My next trip sees me try on the Classic Fusion, in ceramic, on rubber. And wow. It looks stunning - a combination of matte and polished ceramic, a matte dial with hands and hour markers that pop. The rubber is supremely comfortable. It looks cool, it feels cool, and despite being totally un Hublot (it's below the radar rather than "out there") it's so very Hublot (a fusion of materials, uber cool, well put together, superbly finished). I knew it was the one.

Will it lose money? I don't know, I paid 31% below RRP. Probably though. Do I care? NO! It's a watch, I have stocks for investments, this is for enjoyment. Honestly, if you are a Hublot hater and don't know why other than "because some others in the community said so" I'd urge you to go along with an open mind, try a few pieces on and you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Couldn't be happier

Pics don't do it justice but here goes;

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 05:24 AM   #2
fmc000
Banned

Congrats. As a former owner of two Hublot watches I can only share your excitement.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:00 AM   #3
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
That looks very nice - simple, robust, functional, well-made. It's really a world away from some of the crazy and somewhat illegible designs that the 'porthole' has come up with e.g. https://timeandtidewatches.com/porth...hes-from-2019/

I could wear your watch and enjoy it... some of the others, not so much
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 06:45 AM   #4
Heu
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 07:25 AM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Congrats :)
Old 28 May 2021, 08:30 AM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:59 AM   #7
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Congrats! As you say I have been primed to be a Hublot hater but have recently started liking their simple Classic fusion watches on rubber. Never tried one on but they certainly look clean and iconic in their own right.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 11:54 PM   #8
tedo
"TRF" Member

You just have to buy what you like, and some Hublot watches are truly stunning. Funny how the haters like to compare to the AP Royal Oak as their reason, but then I saw the Girard Perragaux Laureato (which gets a pass from haters), which looks great as well. Check out the carbon glass model, I thought it was a Hublot at first glance. Seems a lot of manufacturers are now following them in terms of fusion, interesting case materials, and rubber straps — haha! Oh well, to each his/her own. Enjoy!
Old 30 May 2021, 01:59 AM   #9
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Congrats. As a former owner of two Hublot watches I can only share your excitement.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
That looks very nice - simple, robust, functional, well-made. It's really a world away from some of the crazy and somewhat illegible designs that the 'porthole' has come up with e.g. https://timeandtidewatches.com/porth...hes-from-2019/

I could wear your watch and enjoy it... some of the others, not so much
100% agree some are an acquired taste . But the classic fusion, standard Big Bang (which really surprised me), the Orlinski etc are fantastic looking watches. Thanks for your comment, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heu View Post
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Congrats :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Congrats! As you say I have been primed to be a Hublot hater but have recently started liking their simple Classic fusion watches on rubber. Never tried one on but they certainly look clean and iconic in their own right.
Thank you, it looks like you have a great collection and I genuinely think a Classic Fusion on rubber would be a great addition. I implore you to go and try one, you will be surprised
Old 30 May 2021, 02:10 AM   #10
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
You just have to buy what you like, and some Hublot watches are truly stunning. Funny how the haters like to compare to the AP Royal Oak as their reason, but then I saw the Girard Perragaux Laureato (which gets a pass from haters), which looks great as well. Check out the carbon glass model, I thought it was a Hublot at first glance. Seems a lot of manufacturers are now following them in terms of fusion, interesting case materials, and rubber straps — haha! Oh well, to each his/her own. Enjoy!
I find the hypocrisy toward Hublot very strange.

Hublot screws aren't aligned - shoddy watch
Cartier santos screws aren't aligned - passes without comment. Hmmmm

Hublot - copied AP
Zenith Primero Chronomaster Sport - "it is very different from the Daytona, not sure how you could even confuse the 2:

Etc etc

There are watches that look FAR closer to each other than AP and Hublot in my opinion, but it seems to pass without comment...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 30 May 2021, 03:04 PM   #11
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Suits you well. Stunner.

What size is that watch and your wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
Like many, one of the first things I learnt about watches when new to the hobby is you have to hate Hublot. I didn't know why, and didn't take any time to think about it, I just knew that to be like my fellow watch enthusiasts I was allowed to like anything and everything, except for Hublot.

I even recall once walking past a Watches of Switzerland window and seeing a stunning simple blue dial watch on a leather strap and thinking "that's nice what is it", seeing it was a Hublot and then thinking "ah no I don't like it then".

Fast forward a few years, and after ownership of amongst others a Daytona, a blue dial AP Royal Oak 15300, a Patek Aquanaut, a Royal Oak Chrono, a Bluesy, a GMT Master, a Batman (twice) and to a time when the thought of "Hublot" genuinely hadn't crossed my mind for years. I'd forgotten they existed.

And the time came when I wanted a new watch, in the sub £10k bracket, with the main criteria being it MUST NOT be a Rolex (I LOVE my GMT Master, but detest the AD games and the fact it's the only luxury brand in the world where to most buyers the single most important thing is not losing money/how much you can flip if for )

I set off exploring the various options - Breitling got a look (wanted to want a Chronomat but couldn't) , GP got a look (not for me but gave it a try), the Bvlgari Octo got tried on (wow it's impressive, but a bit dressy for my style and being a tall guy the slimness of the watch didn't suit me). And I stumble across the Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph.

I have to admit I did a double take - this is a Hublot? This is from the brand I am meant to hate? REALLY!!??

Anyway I go and try a couple on, and was impressed by it on leather but something about it wasn't quite right. I go and try a couple of Big Bangs on rubber and this is more like it, really liking this watch, but worried by the size and it getting knocks, and dints etc. But something about the luxury watch on rubber, which of course Hublot pioneered and others copied, really resonated.

My next trip sees me try on the Classic Fusion, in ceramic, on rubber. And wow. It looks stunning - a combination of matte and polished ceramic, a matte dial with hands and hour markers that pop. The rubber is supremely comfortable. It looks cool, it feels cool, and despite being totally un Hublot (it's below the radar rather than "out there") it's so very Hublot (a fusion of materials, uber cool, well put together, superbly finished). I knew it was the one.

Will it lose money? I don't know, I paid 31% below RRP. Probably though. Do I care? NO! It's a watch, I have stocks for investments, this is for enjoyment. Honestly, if you are a Hublot hater and don't know why other than "because some others in the community said so" I'd urge you to go along with an open mind, try a few pieces on and you may be in for a pleasant surprise. Couldn't be happier

Pics don't do it justice but here goes;

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 04:55 PM   #12
Stuart B
"TRF" Member

My understanding was that a lot of the hate for Hublot stems from them using cheap Sellita movements in their watches, but then charging premium prices.
Stuart B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 05:39 PM   #13
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Congrats on your new acquire, hope you wear it in good health!
Totally agree with you on value retention, I leave most of my money in investments to churn returns and enjoy the hobby of watches by not caring about whether it makes me money or not.
Currently own a Ferrari GT Classic Fusion in Titanium and it's my favourite watch in my whole collection.
Something about Hublot is they wear exceptionally well on the wrist, the Clasp is just so seamless. I cannot find anything as comfortable to wear on with a rubber strap than a Hublot. (Tried panerai, rolex OF, and AP as well)

I think Hublot is one of the most exciting watch brands besides independents, they dare to redesign their case architecture and experiment with different materials.
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 07:51 PM   #14
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
My understanding was that a lot of the hate for Hublot stems from them using cheap Sellita movements in their watches, but then charging premium prices.
Obviously this is open to interpretation, but here in the UK a Royal Oak Offshore in Ceramic is £24 000 - £30 000 so picking up the Hublot at £6700 makes it seem very good value in comparison.

Perhaps I am not enough of a WIS to be upset by the movement, it truly doesn't bother me.

For the quality of finish, wrist presence, same luxury yet casual appeal of a Royal Oak Offshore I think one of these at somewhere around a quarter to a fifth of the price is a good value proposition
Old 30 May 2021, 07:53 PM   #15
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotiprata View Post
Congrats on your new acquire, hope you wear it in good health!
Totally agree with you on value retention, I leave most of my money in investments to churn returns and enjoy the hobby of watches by not caring about whether it makes me money or not.
Currently own a Ferrari GT Classic Fusion in Titanium and it's my favourite watch in my whole collection.
Something about Hublot is they wear exceptionally well on the wrist, the Clasp is just so seamless. I cannot find anything as comfortable to wear on with a rubber strap than a Hublot. (Tried panerai, rolex OF, and AP as well)

I think Hublot is one of the most exciting watch brands besides independents, they dare to redesign their case architecture and experiment with different materials.
Thank you, and great to hear that not everyone is obsessed by "how much can I flip if for" haha!

This was partly a treat for hitting a landmark in my stocks and shares accounts, and next landmark will result in another (more expensive) treat.

Stocks and Shares to build wealth.
Watches to treat yourself.

IMO.
Old 30 May 2021, 07:55 PM   #16
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekWatchGuy View Post
Suits you well. Stunner.

What size is that watch and your wrist?

Thank you sir

Wrist is 7 inches, the watch is 45mm. I think it wears a little smaller because of the all black, and also the slight curve at the lugs means it wraps around the wrist rather than hangs over it if that makes sense.

Tim Mosso says the same on one of his watchbox reviews, and he seems surprised at how the 45mm wears/the fact someone with a smaller wrist can pull them off despite 45mm sounding gargantuan.
Old 30 May 2021, 07:56 PM   #17
rotiprata
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Thank you, and great to hear that not everyone is obsessed by "how much can I flip if for" haha!

This was partly a treat for hitting a landmark in my stocks and shares accounts, and next landmark will result in another (more expensive) treat.

Stocks and Shares to build wealth.

Watches to treat yourself.

IMO.
Nicely said!

Stocks and Shares to build wealth
Watches to treat yourself

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
rotiprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 08:17 PM   #18
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Thank you sir

Wrist is 7 inches, the watch is 45mm. I think it wears a little smaller because of the all black, and also the slight curve at the lugs means it wraps around the wrist rather than hangs over it if that makes sense.

Tim Mosso says the same on one of his watchbox reviews, and he seems surprised at how the 45mm wears/the fact someone with a smaller wrist can pull them off despite 45mm sounding gargantuan.
That's normal for the CF line to wear smaller then the dimensions may suggest. I used to own a tune only 42mm in Ti and it wore no bigger then a 40mm Sub.

fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 08:41 PM   #19
Stuart B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Obviously this is open to interpretation, but here in the UK a Royal Oak Offshore in Ceramic is £24 000 - £30 000 so picking up the Hublot at £6700 makes it seem very good value in comparison.

Perhaps I am not enough of a WIS to be upset by the movement, it truly doesn't bother me.

For the quality of finish, wrist presence, same luxury yet casual appeal of a Royal Oak Offshore I think one of these at somewhere around a quarter to a fifth of the price is a good value proposition
Stuart B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 12:34 AM   #20
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find the hypocrisy toward Hublot very strange.

Hublot screws aren't aligned - shoddy watch
Cartier santos screws aren't aligned - passes without comment. Hmmmm

Hublot - copied AP
Zenith Primero Chronomaster Sport - "it is very different from the Daytona, not sure how you could even confuse the 2:

Etc etc

There are watches that look FAR closer to each other than AP and Hublot in my opinion, but it seems to pass without comment...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Great examples, especially the Patek and Breitling photo comparison. I guess that’s OK