The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2015, 08:07 PM   #1
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Thinking out loud (World timer)

This is my first post on the Patek forum ,, i wish it was an incoming post but i am afraid it isn't .
I was thinking about world timers as the 5130p was/is on my wishlist for quite a while, So i decided to share my thoughts regarding WTs hoping i could trigger a discussion and get some invaluable input from our expert brethren here in TRF ,,, please keep in mind that all i am about to propose is all from my (not so)common sense and in no way am i suggesting i have any inside news , So here it goes :

Given :

= 5110 WTs started production 2000 ended 2006.(7 years)
= 5130 WTs started production 2007 ended ????. (8 years - )
= both 5110 and 5130 use the same movement 240 HU
= 5575 new WT limited edition (1300) with a new complication and a brand new movement 240 HU LU

Discussion:

= the brand new 240 HU LU movement was only used for the 1300 new 5575 and common sense dictates that we shall get more new lunar WT i the near future. probably starting by a 5575p ?

= since the 5110 series continued for around 7 years and the current series 5130 has also been in production for more than 7 years .
shall the 5130 series start to be fazed out by the new lunar World timer models ?

= shall the 5130 series be fazed out completely to be replaced by the 5575 series models in the future or will they be offered both as options for WT ?

in Summary:

Mr. Stern please give us a 5575p soon
dr3ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2015, 11:51 PM   #2
unknown
"TRF" Member

No way they Will make a 5575p

It was a limited edition for their 175th anniversary it would not be wise to make exact the same watch in another material
Then the 5575g would no longer be a LE

It is possible they Will make a new one, new case or so but I would not expect to see a WT moonphase in another material.... Patek is not Panerai. LOL
Old 13 January 2015, 12:06 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

It was a limited edition for their 175th anniversary it would not be wise to make exact the same watch in another material

It is possible they Will make a new one, new case or so but I would not expect to see a WT moonphase in another material.... Patek is not Panerai. LOL
Exactly and X100!

PS. If they did I bought my last new Patek and so maybe a good thing as I will save lots of money.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 12:26 AM   #4
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for your valuable input Bruno ,, so if i understood you correctly you think that there should be a brand new design for a patek world timer coming soon ? that would be really interesting
Old 13 January 2015, 12:33 AM   #5
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Exactly and X100!

PS. If they did I bought my last new Patek and so maybe a good thing as I will save lots of money.
Hi Ken and always great to get your opinion as you have a lovely collection of modern pateks i am following you religiously on Instagram

are you suggesting that patek philippe made 1300 240HU LU caliber movements for the 5575 then threw the blueprints away ? IMHO doesn't seem like a smart business move
Old 13 January 2015, 12:40 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Perhaps they do a one off 5575P or something, Patek is very good at making these random unicorns to auction for charity (5004T and 5131 with unique Geneva guilloché dial...)

To me the best non guilloché world timer patek is the 5110G, perfect size, micro rotor, it has a 'normal' hour hand... and can be had in excellent condition for the same price as a new 5711 or automatic Calatrava.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 01:06 AM   #7
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3ziz View Post
Hi Ken and always great to get your opinion as you have a lovely collection of modern pateks i am following you religiously on Instagram

are you suggesting that patek philippe made 1300 240HU LU caliber movements for the 5575 then threw the blueprints away ? IMHO doesn't seem like a smart business move
If they were foolish enough to introduce the same watch in different metal as a WT Moonphase they would lose many collectors like myself. As I said it would be great though as I said I will save lots of money on new Patek purchases. So yes I am suggesting they made this for special Anniversary Piece and that is it. As for will they introduce new WT's? Only Patek knows so for me I won't speculate and will wait and see what Basel brings.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2015, 01:10 AM   #8
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

I'm following you Ken
and I will sell all my Pateks
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 01:16 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5575G is a special piece for the 175th anniversary. However I believe if Patek wanted to, they can change the dial a little bit and still use the same movement, albeit for a different special occasion. There has been many special editions of the world time celebrating a special event with the name of the city on the dial. There is nothing to say that Patek won't have a moonphase world timer for another limited edition. 1300 is still a large number for a watch like this. It is not a rare watch by any means, but still quite a nice design.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 01:20 AM   #10
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
I'm following you Ken
and I will sell all my Pateks
For me John truly if I only had my 5970R, 5070J and 5711 1A I would be quite content. The rest are for occasional wear and change of pace. I wear the 3 of those almost all of the time and that isn't changing anytime soon. So if Patek was to make easy decision for me again I save lots of money.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2015, 01:45 AM   #11
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The 5575G is a special piece for the 175th anniversary. However I believe if Patek wanted to, they can change the dial a little bit and still use the same movement, albeit for a different special occasion. There has been many special editions of the world time celebrating a special event with the name of the city on the dial. There is nothing to say that Patek won't have a moonphase world timer for another limited edition. 1300 is still a large number for a watch like this. It is not a rare watch by any means, but still quite a nice design.

Thank you !
If it is impossible for Patek to reissue a limited edition model ,,, al they have to do is (as you said) modify the lugs a bit and change the design of the moon phase then call it the eg 5576 ? That sounds plausible,, no ?

then john wouldn't have to sell his pateks
Old 13 January 2015, 02:39 AM   #12
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

thank you Aziz, but anyway, one day, I will sell my Pateks ...except the 5711P
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2015, 03:12 AM   #13
unknown
"TRF" Member

hmmm … if some of you would sell the 5575G IF they would make another one … I hope they do LOL … I'll take your 5575G with a big discount LOL

@Aziz,
There could be a new design for that watch and that could be the same as the 5575
I would have a problem if they use this case for a WT update … but only the case !
Putting also a moonphase on the watch would be a bridge too far
Old 13 January 2015, 03:24 AM   #14
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hmmm … if some of you would sell the 5575G IF they would make another one … I hope they do LOL … I'll take your 5575G with a big discount LOL

@Aziz,
There could be a new design for that watch and that could be the same as the 5575
I would have a problem if they use this case for a WT update … but only the case !
Putting also a moonphase on the watch would be a bridge too far
i think the 5575 case is the same case of the 5130 without the crown guard its not that different
Old 13 January 2015, 03:26 AM   #15
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
thank you Aziz, but anyway, one day, I will sell my Pateks ...except the 5711P
5711p ??? nice
Old 13 January 2015, 03:54 AM   #16
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3ziz View Post
i think the 5575 case is the same case of the 5130 without the crown guard its not that different
totally different
a little bit bigger, another crown, completely different shape, different lugs, …
Old 13 January 2015, 03:58 AM   #17
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
totally different
a little bit bigger, another crown, completely different shape, different lugs, …
if you want to compare them, maybe these epicures could help

5130 (or 5131)

http://bruno-wristwatches.blogspot.b...ilippe%205131J

http://bruno-wristwatches.blogspot.b...e%20ref%205575
Old 13 January 2015, 04:13 PM   #18
dr3ziz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if you want to compare them, maybe these epicures could help

5130 (or 5131)

http://bruno-wristwatches.blogspot.b...ilippe%205131J

http://bruno-wristwatches.blogspot.b...e%20ref%205575
WoW the case is really different ! the 5575 case is gorgeous ,, thanks Bruno
Old 14 January 2015, 12:51 AM   #19
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Exactly and X100!

Ok please everyone, make a letter or email Stern and ask them to do so, just for Ken's financial well being
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 05:37 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
For me John truly if I only had my 5970R, 5070J and 5711 1A I would be quite content. The rest are for occasional wear and change of pace. I wear the 3 of those almost all of the time and that isn't changing anytime soon. So if Patek was to make easy decision for me again I save lots of money.
What about the 5167R? I thought that was your weekend watch 90% of the time…
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2015, 09:14 AM   #21
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
What about the 5167R? I thought that was your weekend watch 90% of the time…
Love it too and great weekend watch but as I said if I only had 3 I would be quite content with only the 3 I mentioned above. That is a big if and for me I am blessed enough to own more so it isn't a worry! Perhaps I even have another incoming but until here we will never know my friend.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT