The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 August 2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Luther89
Banned

Why is VC in the holy trinity?

I’d like to know why they are considered part of the holy trinity? I personally don’t understand it.

Thanks
Luther89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:09 AM   #2
james.l
"TRF" Member

Because of the history and their complicated watches the used to make.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
james.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.l View Post
Because of the history and their complicated watches the used to make.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invest the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?
Old 28 August 2019, 07:01 AM   #4
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invest the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?
I'm sure Mercedes has a lot more historical innovation than Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc..but Mercedes isn't the top of the luxury food chain.

The holy trinity has to do with the level of finishing on the watch and grand complications. History plays a huge part as well because Lange from a modern standpoint should oust Vacheron and AP for a spot. Though I've heard people argue that the holy trinity refers to Swiss manufacturers which would knock Lange out of contention.

What hurts Vacheron is that they are not independently owned and have had multiple changes in ownership, including an Arab billionaire. They have also not picked up a mainstream celebrity following which hurts their wide appeal. People rap about Patek and AP but Vacheron is a niche of a niche. Both Patek and AP have had recent surges in mainstream popularity due to pop culture. It wasn't that hard to get a 5711 or Jumbo a few years ago.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
I'm sure Mercedes has a lot more historical innovation than Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc..but Mercedes isn't the top of the luxury food chain.

The holy trinity has to do with the level of finishing on the watch and grand complications. History plays a huge part as well because Lange from a modern standpoint should oust Vacheron and AP for a spot. Though I've heard people argue that the holy trinity refers to Swiss manufacturers which would knock Lange out of contention.

What hurts Vacheron is that they are not independently owned and have had multiple changes in ownership, including an Arab billionaire. They have also not picked up a mainstream celebrity following which hurts their wide appeal. People rap about Patek and AP but Vacheron is a niche of a niche. Both Patek and AP have had recent surges in mainstream popularity due to pop culture. It wasn't that hard to get a 5711 or Jumbo a few years ago.
No one raps about VC because they’re not popular - why is Rolex considered possibly THE watch brand? Because they are WANTED (whether people agree with it or not). VC is not wanted by many at all
Old 28 August 2019, 07:21 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
No one raps about VC because they’re not popular - why is Rolex considered possibly THE watch brand? Because they are WANTED (whether people agree with it or not). VC is not wanted by many at all

Ohh? Is that so. You have sales numbers to back this up do you

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Ah, I knew there's a rap compatibility component to this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 07:31 AM   #8
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
They are wanted like a Mercedes or a BMW is wanted. A middle income person can save up for it or an upper-middle income person can have one, or a few, as a symbol of their success. People who have a lot of money can still appreciate them as everyday utilitarian pieces.

You are on the rolexforums. Most of us love Rolex. I own two. That doesn't mean I think they are the end all be all. I've owned a Mercedes and BMW but I've never owned a Ferrari. I can't afford a Ferrari, just like the average person can't go near a modern Patek, AP, or VC. Me buying a holy trinity watch is the equivalent of me selling my entire collection to get a used fairly entry level piece like a decent calatrava, royal oak, or overseas. I just wouldn't do that.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:01 AM   #9
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
I’ll put a dent in that thought.
My next sought after watches are a VC Overseas and a PP.
Since the latter has a long wait time, guess what I will be wearing this time next year, God willing?
Old 29 August 2019, 09:44 PM   #10
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who do you think sells more suits, Armani or Gieves & Hawkes? Which do you think a 'rapper' is more likely to sing about or wear on their day in court?
Gui Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 11:31 PM   #11
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
have the be quite the accomplished lyricist to rhyme something with vacheron constantine, even PP has been featured in songs
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 01:46 AM   #12
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's what I like most about them. Along with a simple Calatrava, VC is top of the top for me.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:04 PM   #13
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex greatest complication, change the bezel color of the GMT ja jajajaja - oh no wait - add the jubilee- breathtaking complications 🤣🤣🤣
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 08:22 AM   #14
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

You are right, It’s not a good answer nor a constructive one. They made some great watches and have a rich history that others on this forum can provide better information on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:13 PM   #15
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because of this

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:58 AM   #16
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
Because of this

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
that ultra-thin is amazing and class! love it!
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 10:33 PM   #17
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Yes they do. Here is one example. Do a google search for a hundred more. VC will make things that Patek, AP, Rolex, omega wouldn’t dream of. For a price, they’ll make anything a customer wants.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...atch-hands-on/
Old 4 January 2020, 11:49 PM   #18
SROB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Yes they do. Here is one example. Do a google search for a hundred more. VC will make things that Patek, AP, Rolex, omega wouldn’t dream of. For a price, they’ll make anything a customer wants.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...atch-hands-on/
Amazing piece.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:10 AM   #19
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Because they paid their Holy Trinity Fees and Rolex refused to.
Old 29 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

its a fair question possibly if its VC vs another HH brand not included and why its VC and not them.

Its a ridiculous notion if its why is VC in it and Rolex isn't.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 03:01 PM   #21
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Crazy ignore answer - how dare you? Jajaja
Rolex is juts a average watch at same level as Omega.

Tell me one complication (real one) from Rolex besides changing the color on the bezel (that’s no a complication) haha haha
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Vacheron Constantin is one of the oldest watch manufacturers in the world with an uninterrupted watchmaking history since its founding.[1][4] It employs around 1,200 people worldwide as of 2018, most of whom are based in the company's manufacturing plants in Canton of Geneva and Vallée de Joux in Switzerland.[5]

Vacheron Constantin is a highly regarded watch manufacturer.[5][6][7][8][9] Over the years, notable Vacheron Constantin patrons and timepieces owners include Queen Elizabeth II, Pope Pius XI, Napoléon Bonaparte, Marlon Brando, William James, John D. Rockefeller, Diana Princess of Wales, Harry S. Truman, Wright brothers, and so on.[10][11][12][13][14] The Vacheron Constantin pocket watch No. 402833 (1929), which was owned by King Fuad I of Egypt, ranks as one of the most expensive watches ever sold at auction, fetching US$2.77 million (3,306,250 CHF) in Geneva on April 3, 2005.[15][16] In 2015, Vacheron Constantin introduced the pocket watch Reference 57260, which currently holds the title of the most complicated mechanical watch ever made, with 57 horological complications.[17][18]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacheron_Constantin

https://www.theceomagazine.com/busin...on-constantin/

https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/b...on-constantin/
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:15 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That pretty much answers the question
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 05:16 AM   #24
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That seems a very vague answer. Do they make more complicated watches than anyone else. Have they done something so amazingly groundbreaking such as invent the first waterproof mechanical watch or the first watch to ‘land on the moon’?
Quote:
Vacheron Constantin is regarded by many watch aficionados as a pioneer in the precise manufacture of mechanical watch movements.
https://watchtime-shop.com/watchtime...ron-constantin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Thanks, I tried
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 28 August 2019, 05:18 AM   #25
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
Not really. Only the last point is particularly impressive.
Old 28 August 2019, 05:19 AM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok good luck then
Old 28 August 2019, 05:23 AM   #27
Luther89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Ok good luck then
Not hating on them, just pointing out that it’s really the only thing that other brands cannot boast.
Old 28 August 2019, 05:24 AM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Who knows .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2019, 06:20 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Let me try with some Habiokee help.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wh...-the-big-three
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2019, 07:48 AM   #30
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
I didn’t know Richemont owned Cartier. Wow
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote